We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

Hi. We are going to NO in April, plan on staying 3 nights. The hotel is charging around $20 a person extra per night for more than 2 people (there are 4 of us).

Why so much? If we book over the phone do you think they will discount it? It seems like a lot for breakfast!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

I think all hotels charge for extra people, anything over double occupancy. It is not just breakfast, even hotels who don't have breakfast charge for extra people. More wear and tear on the room. Same rationale as a taxi, base price for 1-2 people, and extra for each person after that.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

gdale, that's not a lot. Places like Days Inn charge $10, but higher end places like Inn on Bourbon charges $35 (more during special events) while 4 and 5 star hotels charge $50. More work for the housekeepers too!

Tunnel Hill, Georgia
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

Most bed and breakfast will charge $30 per person extra too - even if there are already two bedrooms!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,632 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

Gdale--Most hotels charge for a third or fourth person in the room. My hotel used to do the same thing--$20.00 per anyone over two. And only 4 people were allowed in one room. Standard operating procedure.

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

Oh well. Guess we just have to bite the bullet and pay. Thanks for all your replies!

Franklin...
Level Contributor
340 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

whats the downside of trying to cheat your way around this?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

Seriously?

Franklin...
Level Contributor
340 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

are you serious in asking me seriously?

why else would I ask?

i know stealing is stealing... not looking for a lecture

but if I could save $120 ... why not try to?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

Ummmm, would you walk out on a $120 meal if there was no one looking?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dauphine Orleans Extra Person Charge

I guess I hoped you were not serious. I agree with Willowtree, same thing as stealing form a restaurant. I got what you said, if you can get away with it you will, don't want a lecture. To me the downside is I have to look in the mirror when I brush my teeth and need to know that I am looking at an honest, decent person. You may find that many people who post here have a great deal of respect and affection for the people of New Orleans. That extends to small business owners who are harmed by such theft. I would like to think most people would not take your suggestion.