We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Hotel question

Deciding between French market Inn or Place d'Armes Hotel. Both similar price point, location, and style. We are a family of 3 from NYC visiting 2/19-2/23, daughter will be 8. Appreciate any insight. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
10,015 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Hotel question

The French Market Inn has a pretty lobby, and rooms were 'refreshed' within the past 5 years or so. Located on a busy street so depending on the location of your room, you might hear street traffic, calliope music from the paddle wheelers, sirens, etc. The pool is miniscule but you won't be using that in February anyway. There is a cute, inexpensive place for breakfast just a 1/2 block away, Johnny's.

The Place dArmes is a bit more 'dated', nice courtyard area, very small and crowded lobby. Some rooms might get some noise from Jackson Square. Our room was on the ground floor overlooking Chartres Street, and we could lay iin bed and hear people walking by outside and talking, but that does not bother us at all. The room we had there was one of my favorite rooms I have stayed at in NO, but it had just one queen bed so wouldn't work for you.

With either hotel, if you want quiet, just call to make your reservation and tell them. Keep in mind that with both hotels, some rooms are 'interior rooms' without wiindows, so make sure you are aware of what room type you are getting.

Both hotels are owned by the Valentino family and the best rates are always on their website, valentinohotels.com.

You really can't go wrong with either hotel.

I'm sure your daughter will love New Orleans. I have taken several of my grandkids to visit and 2 of them were 8 at the time. They have all fallen in love with NO. We took one of the granddaughters in 2016 and she was 8 at the time she visited (other one was years before). We take her on a vacation with us every year. This year we went to Niagara Falls which she loved...but she said that New Orleans was the best vacation!!

Edited: 17 November 2018, 14:08
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Hotel question

jlr51 thank you for the details!!

Michigan USA
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Hotel question

In my opinion you are on the right track with either hotel. Both offer a true NOLA hotel experience, great rates in a great location, both with a nice courtyard atmosphere. If it were me I would go with the one with the best rate, if it is close I would give a slight edge to FMI.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Hotel question

We booked French Market Inn! can't wait!

Reply to: Hotel question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted