We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place De Armes

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Place De Armes

We are here now for 4 days and must say that the location is great, the courtyard is beautiful but our room is horrible. The front desk indicates they can move us tomorrow but not tonight since there are no king beds open. Carpets are dirty, it hasn't been dusted and the room smells musty and moldy. Very disappointed in the room

13 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,382 posts
660 reviews
1. Re: Place De Armes

What was your expectation for the room?

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
2. Re: Place De Armes

Everyone's expectation is a clean fresh smelling room. That's what you are paying for any hotel room. Management should be aware of the problem and the room should be comped for the period you are unable to move to an acceptable room. The hotel is well respected and this is indeed disappointing.

Harvey, Australia
Level Contributor
314 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Place De Armes

Sorry to hear that...we stayed (2 couples in different rooms in different areas) and it was awesome. Have to agree it was not spotlessly clean, but then again, it is a very old building/s and was all part of the appeal. Climbing through the window to our balcony was an experience in itself!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
147 reviews
4. Re: Place De Armes

I have only stayed there once and loved our room. But I did stay at another Valentino once where my room wasn't acceptable to me (not a cleanliness issue) and they immediately moved me to another room but of course that is impossible if there aren't any rooms available.

I hope that they will comp you for the night.

Essex
Level Contributor
311 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Place De Armes

Oh my word, that doesnt sound great. We are flying in on Wednesday from the UK, for a 5 night stay here! I do hope you get things resolved to your satisfaction.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,196 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Place De Armes

I'm sorry your room has issues. Did you get moved to another room yet? And is it better? Hopefully this was just a one-off situation.

We've stayed at this hotel before and always had nice rooms - they are older and not exactly spotless, but totally fine. Regarding the musty smell though, I have noticed this with a lot of places in New Orleans (and Louisiana in general). I think it is just a combination of age and humidity. I live in a pretty dry climate, so I always notice that musty smell when I go to New Orleans.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,358 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Place De Armes

Place D'Armes is a Forum fave. I've stayed there twice, and visited guest rooms several other times.

Although the furnishings and finishes were rather tired, they were acceptable. But should also mention that having spent most of my life within 150 miles of the Gulf of Mexico, I do not notice smells associated with dampness to the extent noticed by those from other parts of the US.

However, I recommended PDA to a friend at the office, and her family had an experience similar to that of the OP; rooms were scarce throughout the City at the time. One of the primary attractions of the Valentino Hotels, along with good location, is low cost. It seems they hold down cost by getting the most out of their furnishings and finishes (such as carpeting). I suspect, without knowing, that there are some rooms awaiting refurbishment that are only used during times of peak demand.

Marylou, please let us know how this all turns out for you. Hope you're having a good time despite this problem.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 19:01
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Place De Armes

The hotel has gone above and beyond what i expected. I just wanted a clean room. Yes everything has been resolved and the staff has been wonderful. We picked this hotel because of the great reviews, the location and the beautiful courtyard. And the courtyard is gorgeous. Thank you Place De Armes

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
147 reviews
9. Re: Place De Armes

Awesome!! Glad they made everything right!!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
10. Re: Place De Armes

That's good to know! Happy issue resolved.

Reply to: Place De Armes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted