We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Alabama shores

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Driving to Alabama shores

We will be in French Q early part of may and thought about driving to the Gulf Shores In Alabama for the day. Anyone suggestions on roads to avoid or anything else be aware of. Thank you

6 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
133 reviews
1. Re: Driving to Alabama shores

That's a long drive for a day trip IMHO. You can of course google the distance and driving time. Why not a nice day by a pool in New Orleans?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,454 posts
1,800 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Alabama shores

Well, if time is an issue, then I would stick to I-10.

For a much more leisurely drive, then consider US Hwy 90.

Enjoy, and that is a bit of a drive.

Hunt

Loxley, Alabama
Level Contributor
681 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Driving to Alabama shores

It is where I live. 3 hours minimum. But, more likely 3.5 to 4 with traffic. You can go to Dauphin Island and possibly save 30 or 45 minutes. I10 to exit 49 is the quickest route.

Edited: 02 April 2018, 04:12
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Driving to Alabama shores

Thanks for the info. We thought it was more like 1 and a half hour drive. We love NOLA and have been there few times before so that was why we were looking for something scenic to do also.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: Driving to Alabama shores

Then do Bay St Louis. Rebuilding after Katrina...seversl restaurant choices for lunch.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,454 posts
1,800 reviews
6. Re: Driving to Alabama shores

For travel in that time frame, I also recommend the MS Gulf Coast.

One has Bay St Louis/Waveland, all the way to Ocean Springs, spread out on the MS Sound (unfortunately, not the clearer waters, such as off of Gulf Shores, and not the “sugar sand” of the FL panhandle, but very nice, nine the less).

Enjoy!

Hunt

Reply to: Driving to Alabama shores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted