We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

Ca
Level Contributor
140 posts
126 reviews
Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

I searched the forum but the posts were old

Due to our itinerary, we have to spend one night in Cortez and a second in the Fair View Lodge if we decide to do it. But is the Fair View Lodge worthwhile the extra expense? It is probably pretty nice to see the dwellings at dusk/night and early morning but from past experiences at similar places, the service is not that great.

And I imagine that food inside the Park is a lot more expensive and less choices than Cortez.

7 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

Farview Lodge is a fun place to stay and the restaurant their is excellent, the Metate Room. It is necessary to spend the night there though. You won't be able to walk around the ruins at night unless you are on a special tour. I like staying inside the park for the quiet and dark skies. Also wildlife, especially deer can be seen at dawn and dusk. I guess in the end it is up to you.

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
37 reviews
2. Re: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

The drive up and down the mesa is long. For that reason, Farview is convenient. That is about all that recommends it. We stayed there two years ago and I was appalled by the condition of our room.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,126 posts
451 reviews
3. Re: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

Staying at Far View Lodge great enhances the experience. It's nearly an hour from visitor center to the sites. Staying at Far View is much more efficient than Cortez. Are you sure you need two nights? As noted, the Metate Room at Far View is fantastic and very reasonably priced - far better than you'll do in Cortez.

Have fun.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

IMO it is not necessary to stay at Far View Lodge. Many people seem to have the opinion that if you visit a national park you have to stay in the park or you will have a deficient experience. When we have visited national parks we have never stayed inside the park and didn't feel like we missed out on anything.

For Mesa Verde we were in Durango and made a day trip to Mesa Verde. Plenty of time to explore Chapin Mesa (and we stop and read a lot at the sites) and take a ranger led tour of Cliff Palace. From Cortez it will be about 45 minutes to an hour up to the Chapin Mesa sites. If you stay in Cortez, you won't have to pack and unpack an additional time and you won't really be missing out on much if anything. Again, this is my opinion and our experience.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,358 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

I took visitors on day trips every day for a year from Durango to Mesa Verde NP. It is a long day of driving, but you can see all the main spots. Staying in Cortez would be even more convenient.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,562 posts
178 reviews
6. Re: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

For people who don't have a lot of time, staying at Far View helps maximize the time in the park rather than driving. For those who may want to attend an evening ranger talk or do some stargazing, Far View is the only way to go, IMO, so that they don't have to drive down the Mesa after dark. (Wildlife, steep curvy mountain road) And some people like Far View. I have a friend who stays there yearly for a couple of nights to unplug, relax and recharge.

But certainly you can stay elsewhere if you'd rather! Do eat at the Metate Room, though.

P.s. My husband says if you like prime rib and you are in Cortez on a Saturday evening, eat at Jack and Janelle's diner. His recent meal there was really good.

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
66 reviews
7. Re: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?

The drive from Cortez to Mesa Verde NP is long. It’s about 1.5 hours. The drive from Far View to the sites in Mesa Verde is about 20 mins. So depends if you value your time or just want to save $

Reply to: Fair View Lodge or Lodging in Cortez?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cortez
Recent Conversations