We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

Ok this was a new one for me. We were the 2nd vehicle in a string of about 10 cars when all of a sudden I hear something out the driver's side and look up and it's a car passing us driving in the ditch. This was that long stretch right before you get to the welcome center. I have to admit the first car in front of was going a tad slow but come on that is to be expected on this loop road. Well he just about hit us as he RAMPED up in the ditch...rocks were flying and then he was out of sight. He didn't stop at the welcome center but we did. We talked with the people in the first the car and laughed that he probably got hung up again around that road. WHAT A JERK.... Wished we would have caught up with him because I have some rock dings in my hood from his racing adventure.

Edited: 03 November 2010, 14:46
Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

Wow.....I wonder if that's a first! (Probably not though with all the bad drivers in the world..lol) Why do people do stupid stuff like that? They should have a sign at the entrance to Cades Cove that says something like , If you don't want to take your time , go slow and enjoy beautiful Cades Cove then turn around and leave now! :) I've always been fortunate enough to go through Cades Cove at off times of the year so traffic is very low and no one seems to be in a hurry. Even when a car is going slower than most, no one ever got impatient. That's some crazy stuff, Cards...thanks for sharing!

Edited: 03 November 2010, 15:41
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,302 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

We found it annoying that people who wanted to drive REALLY slowly didn't do as the signs said and stop at the frequent pull outs.

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
271 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

I agree Andee but this stretch didn't have a pull over and we were close to the welcome ctr. he could have waited to see if the slow poke pulled in...which he actually did pull in. I think this jerk's wife was the only one that wanted to do Cades Cove... you should have seen her face as they passed us...she was scared to death. If he had hit us or got stuck in the ditch it would have really SLOWED everyone down.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

I see both sides. I do expect people to drive slow, but I have also seen people literally stop in the middle of the road, get out of their car, cross the fence to take a picture. Once we sat in a HUGE line of cars for 10 minutes. I finally got out and walked up toward the front only to see a complete idiot blocking the whole road to take a picture of cows. While passing is almost impossible (passing in the ditch is beyond stupid) if you notice a line behind you, please be considerate and pull off and allow people to safely pass.

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

I just don't understand why they didn't fix the problem while repaving the route- adding plenty of "pull-offs" would have been a GOOD use of "stimulus dollars"!

God forbid they would have made the whole thing 2 lane!

I understand the frustration of having someone damage your car while passing you, but I've come to the point where I don't even do the loop because it can just take HOURS sometimes.

Too many people (wrongly) believe that you can just cruise through it. I can understand the frustration from both sides.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,302 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

We certainly didn't cruise through --it took us most of a day, including 2+ hours to hike to Abrams Falls. We were listening to an audio tour of Cades Cove and stopping at every sight. But there were lots of times when people were holding up a whole line of cars and driving by several opportunities to pull over. We found that inconsiderate.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

While we almost always drive slowly in order not to miss anything, we use the pull-offs at every oppurtunity to let faster traffic pass. If everyone would do this, only the highest traffic levels would present a problem.

We also try to get there at daybreak, and try to avoid weekends.

People need to pass for various reasons. Some might have bladder control issues, or some other digestive problem, but this doesn't excuse the above described behavior. I've never seen anyone take to the ditches to get around slower folks. That's simply insanity, and a total disregard for others.

A road expanded to two lanes, in my opinion, would devestate the area surrounding the road with tree removal, extreme watershed issues, and would only encourage faster and more dangerous drivers. If one decides that the pace is just too slow and people that refuse to use the pull-offs are making their day miserable, they can simply use the cut-through roads of Sparks and Hyatt to cross over and shorten the trip.

Having been to the cove more times than I can count, it still amazes me when slow movers with traffic piling up behind them don't use the pull-offs. It must be that some are simply ignorant, while others just insist on having it their way at the expense of others. Either way, we've found that it's best to just relax and do our best not to let others dictate our mood. In actuality, that's the theme for us in every trip to the GSMNP. Makes it much easier to kick back and enjoy every moment in time while up there.

SE Indiana
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

Well, I'm sure that someone thought it just devastated the place when it went from gravel to asphalt. as far as taking the "cutoffs"; why should I have to shorten my drive?

I know it would just please the pumpkins out of some people if the slo-pokes keep the crowds down. I sometimes wonder if there isn't some secret society of slo-poker/gawkers that take turns discouraging regular tax paying tourists from enjoying the cove at a reasonable pace.

Post the speed limit at 10MPH MIINIMUM, NO STOPPING EXCEPT AT DESINATED PULLOFFS,. Put 5 officers on mopeds and start giving tickets.

Tiffin, Ohio
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

We had a similar experience this past July. Only then, it was a guy on a Harley who would rev his motor up until you would move over and let him by. He passed a whole string of cars that way...needless to say it's kinda hard to see any wildlife when you have an idiot on a motorcycle revving his engine nonstop. Some people have no common sense!

Pigeon Forge...
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ever been passed on the Cades Cove loop road??

I too understand both sides of this as well, but do kind of agree with 34oSc, that posting a speed limit sign and stating that stopping is only allowed at designated 'pull offs' is a great idea. Not sure about the use/need of 5 Moped cops though, but maybe 1 or 2 park rangers driving around asking people to follow the rules of the signs, in order to avoid the really backed up traffic.

Cades Cove is indeed beautiful and one should take plenty of time to see it, but we can't forget that some people have never been there and may not be aware of the 'pull off's, access to the side roads, or the Welcome Center...and therefore they might not be aware that if they are just patient enough, they will be able to get around the slow pokes. I have been behind slow pokes, behind bicyclists that did not use just one side of the road, and find this to be very annoying even though I gave myself plenty of time to go through the Cove. But then I also was one of the those people that took nearly every opportunity to pull off to get out of the car to take photos, which I think annoyed people behind me just as much had I gone slow.

I think when on vacation, people should research things enough to plan accordingly for their time, and as with anything else in life...patience is a virtue...and rude people are simply that..RUDE.

Cards...I am sorry to hear that your car was the victim of flying rocks due to this persons lack if patience and common decency. :-(

I would hope that there are many more good/patient people visiting the Cove than there are others like this guy!