We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

FairHill, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

My hubby , daughter and myself are planning a trip to the "Smokies" to meet my step-daughter who will be flying in from Tampa, FL. This will be my first vacation in over 3 years after taking care of my very ill sister who is only 38. {i desperately need a vacation, my sister and I were to leave for Pigeon forge the next month June 08' but she had an brain aneurysm May 08' }

This will be my hubby, and daughters first trip here, and my second. I want it to be as wonderful as possible. We are staying for 7-8 days. Looking for a 2 bd/2 bth condo with a nice view, pool etc.

My questions are as follows:

1] Has anyone ever rented from vrbo.com???

WE are looking into this. WE want a condo in Gatlinburg!

2] Looking for feedback on the "SUMMIT", The "HIGHLANDS", and "GATLINBURG CHATEAU".

3] Also some nice swimming areas inside the GSMNPark!!!

4] And easy access, trolley stop to downtown Gatlinburg

Any info anybody has will be appreciated. TRIP is planned for June 16th- 23rd 2010.

La Porte, IN
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

I booked through VRBO but got a condo in Pigeon Forge, (Dollywood Lane). Originally was going to book with someone else but didn't like the details in contract. The person I booked with was wonderful to work with, super nice-felt like we had known each other for years-like an old friend. Felt very comfortable with booking thru VRBO.

We will be there in May 2010.

Be sure to ask alot of questions, specific ones about deposit, damage deposit, if things are not working, etc., and look over contract very well.

Sorry I don't have specific condo info in Gatlinburg for you.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

We just stayed at the Summit Manor in January. We booked 4042 through VRBO. They also have a website: gatlinburghilltopview.com which shows how nice this condo is. We really liked it and is very convenient to downtown Gburg ---walking distance! 2 minutes down the hill and you are on the Parkway. Nice balconies and a great mountain view and town view combined. Lisa the owner was great to work with.

Edited: 01 February 2010, 14:51
Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,696 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

I'm sorry to hear about your sister.

I've used VRBO with success, but I didn't use it in the Smokies. I've been to Lake Sinclair, GA and Orlando with VRBO and no problems.

PJN3 had some good points about asking plenty of questions. Take a look in the top right corner of this page in the section that reads, "What should I ask before reserving a cabin?"

Good luck!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

Sorry to hear about your sister. I lost my sister 4 years ago to a pulmonary embolism. She was only 29. I know how hard it is. I have used VRBO several times to book condos in Fl. There is a man we have rented from several times and he also owns a cabin in Gatlinburg. i have never stayed in his cabin but the beach condos were just as pictured and everything went smooth. He sent our deposit back quickly and we had no problems the 5 or 6 times we used him. I know you were interested in s condo. If you would like his VRBO I can get it for you. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
392 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

I forgot to mention, since you asked about swimming, look into rafting or tubing. The rafting looks like a lot of fun and kids from 4 years old can do it. The tubing was fun too, very relaxed float down the river. You can google it to find more info or search on this forum.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

We have rented thru VRBO a couple of times. We are always careful to rent from someone who takes a credit card. I realize that credit card companies charge the owner and that cost is passed along, but I would rather pay a little more and have some sort of recourse in case there was a problem. Especially in these uncertain economic times, I would feel better doing that. There was a thread on here recently about several travelers who sent in checks for deposits or rents, only to find out the company went out of business. That was a company that did that, however I find most companies do take credit cards. Like I said, that is just to make me feel better and secure.

The only problem I have had was once we rented a cabin in the Gatlinburg area. The man was very nice but the management company he hired (he was out of state) was less than helpful. My son wasn't feeling well and we were looking for more towels. We called to ask them if there were any more towels. They told us there should be some, would not bring us any and was not very helpful. I had the feeling they had the cabin we were staying in confused with another because they told us to just throw them in the washer. There was not a washer or dryer in the cabin. We ended up going out to buy our own rather than call them back. They acted like we were bothering them. That is the only problem we have had.

FairHill, Maryland
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

Thank you for your response. I found this very good info. So "The Summit" is within walking distance to the parkway, I was looking at a map, and it made it seem like it was not close.

Gatlinburg...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

I think there are 2 "summits" one is on the parkway and one is on top of the mountain.

I am a rental owner and rent "by owner" on VRBO.

I think you will find dealing directly with the owner in most cases is a much more enjoyable experience. However, beware, the title "Vacation Rentals By Owner" is deceiving. VRBO now allows rental companies to list on their site. Which many of us actual "By Owner" owners don't like.

there is a thread on this page at the top that has great info on what to ask an owner or rental company before you rent.

good luck

Illinois
Level Contributor
217 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

VRBO ROCKS!!!

Everyone in my family uses VRBO and have for years. Never once have any of us had a problem. In fact, every place any of us have stayed in has been outstanding. My Mom and Dad are staying in a VRBO house in Hilton Head as I write this and Mom said it's the best place EVER.

Heart of it all
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for some HONEST feedback about booking with VRBO.com

We have stayed at the Highlands and loved the view. The drive up was easy and not scary at all. It's close to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. We just really liked it there. We meet other family members there and have a wonderful time. Sorry about your sister. My husband passed away suddenly in December (age 57) and I'm trying to decide when I can make a trip to the mountains for the first time without him. He said our trip there last summer was his most relaxing vacation ever! Good luck with your search. Have fun and enjoy!

Edited: 09 February 2010, 17:49