We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

Richmond, Vermont
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

Our daughter just started at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn and even though the school is close to Laguardia, any suggestions on the best one to fly in and out of and best way to get there and back from the Pratt campus in Clinton Hill/Forte Green? Looks like a couple of subway transfers and a bus, etc. for both - cab or uber probably best/fastest? She will be heading to and from Vermont occasionally via plane. We have only driven to Brooklyn to date.

And if you also know the best way to and from the Pratt campus to Penn Station, that would also be helpful to know as that's another option sometimes.

Thanks very much.

Special Offer
New York City Explorer Pass with...
478 Reviews
from US$84.00*
US$89.00
Special Offer
New York Pass with Fast Track...
510 Reviews
from US$119.04*
US$124.00
New York "Best of Brooklyn" Half-Day...
539 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,787 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

Pratt to Penn Station: take the G from whichever station is closest to where you're starting towards Church Ave, and get off at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street. Transfer across the platform for a Manhattan-bound A or C train to Penn Station.

From JFK, you can take the AirTrain to Howard Beach, switch to a Manhattan bound A train to Hoyt Schermerhorn and switch to a Queens-bound G for Pratt. A cab will be faster IF there isn't a long cab line, but that's a big "if." From LGA, a cab will absolutely be faster than the bus to the train.

Richmond, Vermont
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

This is great and that all makes sense - any general idea of what the cab fare might be from Pratt to either airport? The flights are the same cost really to Vermont from either airport so it seems like Laguardia then makes a lot more sense given its closer - thanks again for helping us to get started with the back and froth now from Brooklyn -

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,787 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

LGA will be significantly cheaper by cab. The exact fare will depend on traffic conditions, which can be significantly affected by construction and rush hour. It ought to be under $40 from LGA most of the time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

To get to Pratt from JFK, I think it makes more sense to take the LIRR to Atlantic terminal rather than Penn station. Might even be walkable to Atlantic rather than taking the subway all the way to Penn.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,787 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

It's over a mile from Atlantic terminal, and the LIRR trains to Brooklyn don't run very often: I don't think that's a great idea. My directions don't take you through Manhattan. I assumed they were asking about Penn Station because they might occasionally be arriving by train.

Richmond, Vermont
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

That is what I was thinking - thanks so much again.

Richmond, Vermont
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

And yes, I asked about Penn station just while I was posting but it was for her possibly coming home via train maybe in the future - my priority are the airports for her Thanksgiving and holiday breaks (via plane) - thanks again for your help!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
13,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

Just note that for the transfer from the A to the G at Hoyt-Schermerhorn (arriving from JFK) that you go upstairs and cross over to the opposite platform to the the G. You'll think you'd be heading back where you started but the G will immediately diverge from the route taken by the A train.

Richmond, Vermont
Level Contributor
91 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

All those details are so helpful for my 18 year old (and anyone!) - much appreciated!

New York
Level Contributor
821 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pratt Institute to JFK or Laguardia

if your daughter has not figured out the subway system by Thanksgiving, then your daughter has bigger issues besides transportation.