We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to Devils Den State park

Longview, Tx
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
How far to Devils Den State park

I waited to late to get a cabin at Devils Den- how far is it to drive there ?? Would staying at Ft. Smith be a good idea ??

little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
1. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

If your starting place is Longview TX, it is about 6 hours from there to Devil's Den State Park. It is about an hour shorter to Fort Smith. Is it your goal to visit Devil's Den or are you looking for something similar? Fort Smith has some interesting historical aspects to it, but it would be a totally different lodging experience in that city than Devil's Den. Fort Smith is a city of mostly chain motels along busy roads. If you cannot get in there and do not need to specifically visit Devil's Den and want to find rustic state park accommodations, you might try to find lodging at some of the other great Arkansas parks such as Mt Magazine (new rustic lodge and cabins), Mt Nebo (historic and newer rustic cabins), or my favorite Petit Jean State Park, (historic lodge and cabins). There are private accommodations also which you might look at in western Arkansas. You might take a look at Mulberry Mountain above Ozark www.mulberrymountainlodge.com . Another interesting place is a cabin called the Villa in the middle of a vineyard in Arkansas wine country www.chateauauxarc.com

Longview, Tx
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

Thanks for your reply- we wanted to see the area around Devils Den State Park but all their cabins were booked ! Have been to Pettit Jean & MT. Magazine . Thought if we could not get cabin at Devil's Den we would just get hotel at Ft.Smith and spend the day at Devils Den. I will check Mt. Nebo for the cabins.Thanks again

little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
3. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

I'd call back Devil's Den, make sure your name is on a waiting list and confirm your interest. I've found that Arkansas State Parks often have cancellations and if you are persistent but pleasant on call backs, they sometimes can get you in. Otherwise, there is a place you might look at not too far from Devil's Den (see below). The more I think about it, I think you will be disappointed staying in Ft Smith if you have a natural scenic vacation in mind. Ft Smith is not a bad place at all and their history is fascinating, but I think you should try to connect with rural Arkansas lodging which will be beautiful this time of year. Try Devil's den again by phone and also try Deer Hollow Ranch and Cabins www.deerhollowranchandcabins.com

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

You could always stay at a hotel in Fayetteville and do a day trip to Devil's Den. There are plenty of hotels located along 540 which would make it easy to travel down to Devil's Den.

And there's plenty to see and do in Fayetteville:-)

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

You could always stay at a hotel in Fayetteville and do a day trip to Devil's Den. There are plenty of hotels located along 540 which would make it easy to travel down to Devil's Den.

And there's plenty to see and do in Fayetteville:-)

little rock arkansas
Level Contributor
3,340 posts
287 reviews
6. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

Here is a response from the Arkansas Visitors' Center in the area. It may be too late for you but these may be some good lodging ideas for future visitors to reference:

Near Highway 71 I would recommend Deer Hollow Ranch and Cabins www.deerhollowranchandcabins.com near Mountainburg,

Stonewind Retreat www.StoneWindRetreat.com at Chester, or Sky-Vue Lodge www.skyvuecabins.com at Winslow. There is also Locke Mountain Cabins www.lockemountaincabins.com near Mountainburg. I have not had any feedback on this particular property.

On Highway 23 I would recommend Mulberry Mountain www.mulberrymountainlodge.com , Turners Bend Cabins www.turnerbend.com, or

Byrd’s Adventure’s of the Ozarks www.byrdsadventurecenter.com.

Longview, Tx
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

Thank you again for all the GOOD info - I will check out all of those cabins ! :)

8. Re: How far to Devils Den State park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2009, 05:49
Get answers to your questions about Fort Smith