We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip through Arkansas

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
177 reviews
Road trip through Arkansas

Hello!

In June we will be taking a two week road trip through the US, which will take us through Arkansas (where we will start by overnighting in Fort Smith). To have all answers concentrated in one place I've made a post with all the details in the Chicago forum, which is where our trip starts. Here is the thread:

…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g35805-i32-k24330…

I know there has been some controversy so far over my choice of road trip itinerary. I myself have felt worried about it too, with the same concerns about driving lengths, but I really wanted us to be able to see and do as much as possible, and I'm hopeful that everything will work out and we will have an incredible trip. With your help it can be even better. :)

Anyway so it's easier to keep track of things, your suggestions in the thread linked to above would be great!

Thanks for the help!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Road trip through Arkansas

I tend to try to do as much as possible on my vacations as well. If I don't need a vacation from my vacation, I haven't done/seen enough. One can always rest when back home.

First off, I'll mention a couple of things in other states that I've done and liked.

First one is in Arizona. Just east of Flagstaff is a place we just happened to notice a sign for and had some time to stop. It is 'The Meteor Crater'. One of the best preserved meteor craters there is. Definitely worth a stop. www.meteorcrater.com

Second one is in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It's the Sandia Peak Tramway. Pretty great views from up there at the top. I've stopped in there both times I've been in Albuq. www.sandiapeaktramway.com

One place I haven't been, but thought looked interesting is the Nelson Rodeo Museum in Cheyenne, Wyoming. www.nelsonrodeomuseum.com

I'll try to keep info for Arkansas in the order you are going, west to east. I'll put in a bit of everything. If you have any specific interest's just post back and let us know.

The first one is probably further than you want to go off I-40 and would require doubling back. But, I'll mention it just in case. It's the Wild Wilderness Safari Park in Gentry. Gentry is due north of Fort Smith at the junction of Hwy's 12 & 59. www.wildwildernessdrivethroughsafari.com

Also north of Fort Smith is Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. It's located off Hwy 62.

arkansasstateparks.com/prairiegrovebattlefie… The visitor's center for Fort Smith is Miss Laura's. It's the first former bordello that's listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Restored rooms. fortsmith.org/visitors/welcome-center.aspx Some historical info and places in Fort Smith, including some interesting reading on Arkansas' Hanging Judge, Isaac C Parker at www.nps.gov/fosm and fortsmith.org/things-to-do/historic_attracti… www.fortsmithmuseum.com Fort Smith Patent Model Museum - discoverourtown.com/AR/…Attractions-59.html Also in Fort Smith is Weidman's Old Fort Brew Pub. They have a license to brew their own beer. 6 different beers that I last saw mentioned. Also, a registered historic site.

If you want to see some scenic views, take Hwy 22 just southeast of Fort Smith. Then stop in at Mount Magazine (Arkansas' tallest mountain) at the view points and very nice visitor's center, or head over to Mount Nebo for great views as well. You can stay on Hwy 22 and join back up with I-40 at Russellville to continue on to Little Rock. www.mountmagazinestatepark.com www.arkansasstateparks.com/mountnebo

If your group is interested in wines, then Altus is the place to go. There are several wineries in Arkansas in that area. Altus' Weiderkehr Village is located just off I-40. It's about halfway between Fort Smith and Russellville. ww.wiederkehrwines.com There is a restaurant there as well. Their wines are a little strong for me, but they do taste good. Low alcohol tolerance drinker here. The others are: www.chateauauxarc.com www.mountbethel.com www.postfamilie.com There is another winery in Paris, north of Mount Magazine whose wines I really love. www.cowiewinecellars.com

I'll mention a hike at Petit Jean to Cedar Falls. Waterfall is just under 100 feet tall. Really great after a rain. It takes a while to hike down and back so there may not be time. Just thought I'd throw it in anyway. www.petitjeanstatepark.com There is an antique car place near here. www.museumofautomobiles.com

Just a couple miles north of Conway (on Hwy 65) is Pickles Gap Village. It is an interesting 'off the beaten path' stop. Little something for everyone there. Gift shop, ice cream, sandwiches, fudge, knife shop and antique type store. http://picklesgap.com Conway is located halfway between Russellville and Little Rock just off I-40.

Little Rock:

The River Market located downtown. www.rivermarket.info

The longest pedestrian/bicycle bridge in the world and the only bridge built into a dam. www.bigdambridge.com I kid you not. That's really what it's called. Great views of the Arkansas River from here.

Some historical museums - www.arkansashistory.com www.oldstatehouse.com www.deltaculturalcenter.com

An IMAX/Aerospace Center/Planetarium - www.aerospaced.org

The just opened Witt Stephens Jr Central Arkansas Nature Center. 16,232 sq ft on 3.4 acres along the river that features the 6 natural regions of Arkansas.

North Little Rock has the USS Razorback submarine. www.aimm.museum/exhibits.asp

Also in North Little Rock is 'The Old Mill'. It's the mill that is in the opening scene of 'Gone With the Wind'. Very picturesque and popular place with locals as well as vacationer's. www.northlr.org/visitor/old-mill.asp

Other than Southland Greyhound Park in West Memphis, I can't really think of anything along I-40 east of Little Rock.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
548 posts
177 reviews
2. Re: Road trip through Arkansas

Amazing reply -- thanks so much for the help!!

3. Re: Road trip through Arkansas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 13:18
Get answers to your questions about Fort Smith