We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused on where to stay.

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Confused on where to stay.

Family is embarking on a cruise in July of this year out of Baltimore. Would like to stay one or two nights pre-cruise and explore Baltimore since we have never been there.

I was leaning toward Inner Harbor area, but hotels are rather expensive and I am reading that the food options are touristy and expensive as well.

Would love some advice for a family with two kids - age 11 and 12 - that likes to eat hearty breakfasts and great burgers and looking for a hotel that can comfortably sleep all four of us without breaking the budget. There is no issue with getting to the cruise port on the day of sailing no matter where we stay.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused on where to stay.

I still think the Inner Harbor area would serve you well. That is where most hotels are and since there are a lot, you'll probably find the best rates there.

Neighborhoods where you'll find local eats are -- Harbor East, Federal Hill & Fells Point -- are within a walking distance if your family likes to go for a stroll, or there is a free bus called the Charm City Circulator that can get you there. Even a taxi would be pretty cheap. Water taxis are expensive but a fun way to get to different parts of the city waterfront.

For a hearty breakfast try Mss Shirley's -- right there on Pratt Street across from the harbor. Also, Blue Moon Cafe and Jimmy's in Fells Point are good breakfast spots, too.

For a good burger, check out Abbey Burger Bistro in Federal Hill, Koopers Tavern in Fells Point and if you haven't had one yet, a Five Guys burger (located in Harborplace).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,747 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused on where to stay.

Sounds like fun!

I go to Baltimore twice a year to visit family in the area and, to this point, have always gotten my hotels through Hotwire --- in the BWI (Linthicum) area. Usually I choose a 3-star (and have ended up with the Sheraton, the Holiday Inn, the Westin and other decent places --- upcoming trip will be the Aloft, which will be interesting as it sounds hip and trendy and I'm not....haha).

There are also 4-stars (and better) in the Hotwire inventory.

Frankly, I'd love to stay in Inner Harbor but I don't, due to the additional expense (which I don't need as I'm usually traveling alone) AND because having a rental car in the area can add greatly to the price, plus downtown Baltimore is further away from family. So, I always choose a BWI hotel which has an airport shuttle.

I do what works for me but your situation is different, with having a larger family group. Just for reference though, you might want to at least check out the Hotwire site (if you haven't already) for possibilities and price points.

Keep in mind though that Hotwire has a couple of negatives --- not knowing the name of the hotel in advance (before booking/paying) and no refunds. So, you are stuck with your decision. If you can handle those risk-factors though, you might be able to get a place that works very well for you. If you haven't used Hotwire before, their listings describe the area you will get, as well as the hotel amenities and they ask you how many people you are traveling with so the hotel unit would be suited for that many (though they don't guarantee the number of beds --- IOW, 4 people might not yield 4 separate beds).

Good luck! Enjoy your short time in Baltimore.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,695 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused on where to stay.

If you post the dates of your visit and the budget per night in dollars it will be so much easier to give advice.

Like "Mirage", I agree that staying in the Inner Harbor area (or "Harbor East") is probably right where you want to be. And you can find food all over the city.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
816 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused on where to stay.

I would use Priceline and book in Inner Harbor or Harbor East. Just try bidding for a 3.5 star or more and you should find something under $100 - unless there's a redsox or yankees game in town. Have fun!

Cobourg, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused on where to stay.

thank you, great help.

@Irishfan - we will be there July 10-12th.

I have a reasonable price on Brookshire Suites - what are your thoughts on it?

Maryland, USA
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused on where to stay.

Good location...check out the TA reviews...

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60811-d89327-R…

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused on where to stay.

Had family stay at brookshire recently, said it looked tired.

Fairfield Inn is rather new, not too pricey and while not right in HE or IH is a very easy walk.

8. Re: Confused on where to stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:17