We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commute from DC to BWI

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Commute from DC to BWI

Hello!

My husband is being transferred to a job right by the BWI airport. We would really like to live around DC but I'm worried about the commute. Any idea what the commute would be like from either Silver Spring or Capitol Hill?

Mentioned in this post
Silver Spring
Silver Spring
Montgomery County, MD
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
2,970 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Commute from DC to BWI

Twenty years ago, this would have been a pure reverse commute, and it would be easy to say the trip to BWI would run about 35 minutes from either Silver Spring or Capitol Hill.

But times and the layout of work locations have changed somewhat since then, and there are few "reverse commutes" in the Washington/Baltimore corridor. I'd figure on about 45 minutes from either Silver Spring or Capitol Hill; if there's some flexibility for your husband to start work on the early side (say 7:30), he might be able to knock a few minutes off this in the morning.

Afternoon rush hour tends to run longer than the morning rush; I don't see the trip taking less than 45 minutes to Silver Spring, a little longer to Capitol Hill.

A carless option for your husband if you wind up living near Capitol Hill is to take the MARC train from Union Station (on the north side of the Hill). It's possible your husband's employer has a shuttle service between the worksite and a nearby MARC station and I'd recommend he ask about it--if not for everyday use, it's nice to know in the event a car is out of service. The ride from Union Station to BWI is about 30-35 minutes on most trains. A monthly pass runs $150.

Mentioned in this post
Silver Spring
Silver Spring
Montgomery County, MD
Capitol Hill
Capitol Hill
2,970 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Union Station
Union Station
1,998 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Commute from DC to BWI

Thanks for the advice. We are not familar with the area so that helps a lot. I will have to look into the Marc shuttle!

3. Re: Commute from DC to BWI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 07:17