We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Trip Advice

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Trip Advice

I will be flying into Baltimore with my parents on Jan. 28th for a long weekend. My brother lives in the Lexington park area. I'm not sure how much extra time we will have but I would like to see a few places while we are there. Flight gets in Baltimore on Thursday around noonish. I was hoping to maybe go to Annapolis (being fairly close) that afternoon to see the Naval Academy, downtown and the Maryland State House. I would also like to see the Inner Harbor area as well while in town. Then anything neat to see around the Lexington Park area. I've been reading some previous posts and wrote down a few ideas. Any advice/suggestions is appreciated. I'm not sure how close anything is. I believe Lexington Park is about 2 hours south of Baltimore??? Anyway, I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Washington
Level Contributor
583 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Trip Advice

I live near Lexington Park. Depending on traffic it is about 2 to 3 hours from Baltimore (rush hour here is horrible). It is about the same distance from DC.

If you get in at noon, that would get you to Annapolis by around 1:30 or so (after getting bags, etc.). You could have a nice lunch in Annapolis and then see the things you mentioned. You could easily, however, spend a full day in Annapolis (especially when the weather is nice!).

If you went to Baltimore on Saturday or Sunday you could see the Aquarium, Maryland Science Center, visit some of the shops, etc. The "better" restaurants are not located in the Harbor Area. Little Italy is nearby with good Italian food. There are also several good seafood restaurants within 10 minutes or less from the Harbor.

Lexington Park is home to the Patuxent Naval Air Station. It is still a fairly rural area. However, there are some nearby historic sites, such as St. Mary's City. If your family lives there they can probably fill you in on local stuff. There is a huge flea market/Amish market on Saturdays about a half hour from Lexington Park. Solomons Island is nearby, maybe about 10 to 15 minutes, and has a couple of good restaurants. If it is a nice day you can talk a walk around the island. It is very pretty. I recommend Stoney's or Stoney's Pier for meals. Many of the local restaurants (mainly seafood/crab houses) close for the season and are not open at this time of year. Your family may have favorites in the area they like as well.

Maryland
Level Contributor
399 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Trip Advice

There are tons of things to do in Baltimore, can you specify what you would like to do ? Shopping, historic sites, museums, quaint historic towns, science center, downtown harborplace. Feel free to mention anything I left out.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
516 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Trip Advice

Thanks for the suggestions Sher1234. My brother is actually in the Navy and relocating there so none of us are familiar with the area. He will be there the week before I visit. I'll definitely share some of these tips with him. As I'm sure after he has lived there longer, he will find out other places for us to visit when we come back. Of course January will probably be chilly so I can definitely tell that I'll want to come back when it's warmer. I went to DC last September for the 1st time and didn't get to do everything I wanted to so I'm certainly glad that I will definitely be back!!

Neptunechic - I'm not sure how much free time we will have but I definitely wanted to see the Harbor, and some of Annapolis, even if that is the only things we do. Of course we will need resturaunt suggestions and I do like shopping but I like those little local or small stores. Not always the big chains, however I did enjoy Georgetown last fall.

Thanks again!!! Now I'm just praying for somewhat decent weather. :)

4. Re: First Time Trip Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2010, 05:19