We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

Hi,

I'm thinking of visiting Baltimore with my six-year-old boy during the Presidents' Day long weekend. What are the appropriate kid-friendly activities during that time of the year?

I have thought of going to:

Maryland Science Center

B & O Railroad Museum

Baltimore Aquarium

Historic ships by the Aquarium

Port Discovery

Are there any other fun places that we should consider visiting? Are there any kid-friendly theater shows that we should consider going to? Any suggestions regarding a decent reasonably priced hotel with a nice indoor pool? I'm also concern with the weather in February so I'm looking for a hotel convenient to the Inner Harbor.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Maryland Science Center
Maryland Science Center
683 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Inner Harbor
Inner Harbor
3,017 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
nj
Level Contributor
228 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

My sister lives in Baltimore and my kids and I have visited several of the places you've mentioned.

The aquarium is a good way to spend a couple of hours when its cold outside. A bit pricey, but the kids really enjoyed it. Can get a bit crowded, so you have to be patient to get to see all the fish in the smaller aquariums.

The Train museum is awesome, but better for a warm weather trip. Most of the museum consists of real trains that are located outside and its can get a little cold.

Port Discovery is a great for a 6 yr old boy. There is a great big 3 floor climbing maze in the middle and a boy can spend several hours climbing through. there are also several great other exhibits inside. This also can get very crowded, so if you decide to go, make sure you go early.

Today we visited the Walters Art Museum. I totally recommend it. They have these packets of cards for various parts of the museum. Each packet has cards with various artifacts that the child has to find throughout the museum. On the lower level of the museum they have a kids section where children can try on costumes and create different art projects. very kids friendly.

I found a lot of great ideas and a schedule of kids/family events at www.baltimorechild.com

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
The Walters Art Museum
The Walters Art Museum
1,281 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

Fort McHenry - weather permitting

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

This pass might be worth it if you want to go to the aquarium, science center and port discovery - plus a couple of other sights thrown in.

http://baltimore.org/harborpass

All three of those are great ideas for a six year old boy - might want to go to the science center and port discovery on different days as they both require a lot of activity.

nj
Level Contributor
228 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

visited Maryland Science Center today. Amazing place. Spent 4 hours and could have stayed all day.

Mentioned in this post
Maryland Science Center
Maryland Science Center
683 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Durham, North...
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

there also is an excellent zoo in Baltimore.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

Zoo is fun, but would be very cold in february. Another suggestion would be checking out the mummies at the Walters.

thewalters.org/exhibitions/current.aspx

7. Re: Fun things for kids to do during Presidents Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 07:15