We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapolis or Baltimore

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Annapolis or Baltimore

My husband and I are having a holiday in the US next summer (end of May beg. of June) and have all dates booked up to the last three nights. We thought maybe Annapolis would be good as we want to be able to have a day in Washington and also we fly back to England from Dulles airport so don't want to be too far away. Then I read a bit about Baltimore and that too looks like a good option. We have never been to this area before so it will all be new to us. We love walking rather than motoring around but we are happy to drive to a different area each day in order to see lots. We aren't too keen on museums or art galleriess but love wandering around looking at buildings and interesting neighbourhoods. We will have been 'inland' for the rest of our holiday so would love to see some coast.

I am leaning towards Baltimore but my husband has read somewhere about there being a crime problem there so would really welcome advice even if you are coming up with a completely different place. Oh and as a point of reference we will be coming up from Williamsburg va where we are spending the two nights before Maryland. We generally stay in B&B's but could 'slum' in a hotel if pushed!

Thanks in advance...

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
56 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

If you enjoy walking around and checking out the homes and buildings in the area, I'd go with Annapolis without a doubt. I've been to both places and Annapolis is not only a great place to walk around and see the sights, but it has some excellent B&B's that are within easy distance of the city port and the main thoroughfare that has most of the shops and restaurants.

Baltimore of course has Inner Harbor for walking, but once you've seen that in a day, your pretty much forced to head downtown and after you've seen one business complex, you've seen them all.

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

I live in Baltimore and visit Annapolis frequently. The crime in Baltimore may be over exaggerated a bit. Given that you want some coastal views I would suggest Annapolis. There are many B+B's there. There are boat trips to enjoy, nice walking tours available, restaurants, bars,shopping etc. 3 nights is plenty for sure. If that means you will have 4 days,you could could take a day trip to Baltimore- with no traffic problems that would only be about 40 min ride. If you did that I would go to Fells Point and Federal Hill for the day rather than the Inner Harbor area which are just tourist trap [ in my opinion!] Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Fell's Point
Fell's Point
2,479 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Federal Hill Park
Federal Hill Park
502 Reviews
Baltimore, MD
Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Annapolis
Level Contributor
638 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

I agree that crime in Baltimore is exagerated, but the number of panhandlers there makes it feel less safe.

With that said, Annapolis sounds like a much better fit for what you are looking for with tons of B&B and some great historic homes. Three nights might be pushing it for a stay in Annapolis, but as mentioend before, you are easy driving distance to baltimore (or the eastern shore for a more quaint town experience).

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

geez, "ski"...you ever seen the mt. vernon neighborhood? well, obviously you haven't....PRETTIEST urban neighborhood in the world!

great architecture, history, gardens....

there's a LOT more to baltimore than the inner harbor & business districts!

& fells point has already been mentioned.

all of which is not to say that the OP might enjoy annapolis more, but YEESH!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

No falling out now please!! Ha Ha thanks for all the tips and I think we have decided on Annapolis and a trip into Baltomore which does sound good. Can't wait now!!

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis
Annapolis
Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
830 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

Good compromise, you'll love both!

pa
Level Contributor
635 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

i've been to both places many times, and i much prefer annapolis. more cosmopolitan feel, not gentrified, great one-of-a-kind shops, lots of history. that said, why don't you take a day trip to baltimore, as it's a lot of fun to go to inner harbor to stroll around and "people-watch." i also really enjoy fell's point, st. michael's, and up-and-coming canton. a general tour of annapolis and the naval academy in specific is definitely recommended.

8. Re: Annapolis or Baltimore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2010, 07:17
;