We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Modern hotel in Philly

Connecticut
Level Contributor
210 posts
22 reviews
Modern hotel in Philly

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone can recommend a modern hotel in Philly preferably withing walking distance of eastern state penitentiary and other major sights? I already checked out Lowes as others suggested in the forum but unfortunately they are FULLY BOOKED!! Anything comparable to Lowes?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
97 reviews
1. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

What other sites are you planning on seeing? ESP is more-or-less off by itself (and the Philadelphia Museum of Art). If you are otherwise visiting the main historic sites, then you would be better off near those. Most of the hotels are modern. The only hotel to avoid in the downtown area is the Best Western on 22nd Street.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
2. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

see our FAQ Where to Stay top right for some more suggested hotels.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,896 posts
151 reviews
3. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

The Omni and Sheraton are both modern and a short cab ride from ESP (most hotels fit that bill). The Embassy suites is not a bad choice in that area too.

4. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:34
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

Loonbeam, do you mean the Crowne Plaza at 18th & Market? The Omni is at 4th & Chestnut.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
6. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

When I hear the term “modern hotel,” I think of a new or renovated lodge with modern design attributes (such as clean, crisp lines), innovated technological details in regard to lighting and Internet access, and maybe a well thought out green program.

Even though I live in the city I’ve stayed in a couple hotels, including the Omni, which I think is a fantastic hotel. The room we had was very large with a wonderful view of Independence Park and the Delaware River. There’s a big, modern fitness center and spa. I would highly recommend it. But, it feels more like a traditional upscale hotel. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60795-d112134-…

There are two Sheraton hotels so I don’t which one the prior post is referring too. The one just off the Parkway on Race Street used to be part of the Wyndham hotel chain. I used to work out there. It was an older business class hotel, I don’t know if Sheraton upgraded it in any way. It is the closest to ESP. The other Sheraton is in the Society Hill area. Again, I’m not sure it could be defined as modern, but I think it is more of a family style hotel.

Two hotels that I would call modern are the Sofitel Philadelphia (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60795-d122343-…) and a hotel located just across the street that is scheduled to open Oct. 15, The Palomar, hotelpalomar-philadelphia.com/philadelphia-b…

I haven’t stayed at either hotel. Sofitel, along with the Omni, score very high on the Tripadvisor forum. At either the Sofitel or Palomar, it is a short cab ride to ESP, which is in the Fairmount neighborhood. Or you take the 48 bus from Arch St., which is approximately three blocks north of either hotel.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
7. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

Not sure your budget, but I'd consider the Crowne Plaza as well. It's a few blocks from Rittenhouse Square, which is a lively area at night.

If you click on the hotels tab, I believe you have the options to see hotels on a map, which might give you an idea of proximity to various locations that you want to visit.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,896 posts
151 reviews
8. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

I meant the Sheraton and Omni old city. I was assuming that in most cases they would end up cabbing or Phlashing to ESP, so the distance wasn't as relevant as the quality...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
210 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

Tony, that definition suits the bill... I'm checking out Palomar at the moment. Sofitel is one of our options as well. Were mainly going to be seeing the ESP because of the "terror behind the walls" on Halloween and during the day we were just going to go through the city and just wander around, grab a bite to eat, enjoy the day etc… (not much of an itinerary) Thanks for the input everyone!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
125 reviews
10. Re: Modern hotel in Philly

Can't ge much more modern than a brand new hotel that opens this month!

Make sure your make advance reservations for Terror Behind the Walls for Halloween, if you haven't already done so.