We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hill City to Devils Tower

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hill City to Devils Tower

Hi,

We're planning a trip to SD in June and wanted to visit Devils Tower. We'll probably be making a day trip from Hill City. Are there any special sites or attractions to see on the way there or back? This will be a group of adults.

Thank you for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hill City to Devils Tower

There is the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway which is a gorgeous drive with a few waterfalls as well. Here's a link to some info:

spearfishcanyon.com/scenicbyway/index.html

In Wyoming on the way to Devil's Tower is the Vore Buffalo Jump if you are interested in Native American history and/or archaeological sites. I haven't been here, but have heard of it several times:

http://www.vorebuffalojump.org/content/

Mentioned in this post
Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway
Spearfish Canyon Scenic...
765 Reviews
Spearfish, SD
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hill City to Devils Tower

Thank you, I'll be sure to check it out.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hill City to Devils Tower

Sundance, Wyoming is the small town where the Sundance Kid got his name. It is some great history and there is a wonderful museum in Sundance. The old general store in Aladdin is a good place to stop. They have been in business for 120 years.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
United States
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hill City to Devils Tower

A nice loop route is to take I-90(West) to Whitewood, Exit 23, and then follow Hwy 34 up to Belle Fourche and across to Wyoming where it turns into Hwy 24.

This will take you thru Aladdin and Hulett and then down to Devil's Tower.

When you leave Devil's Tower, take Hwy 24 south to the junction with Hwy 14 and then southeast to Sundance. Here you can rejoin I-90(East). It will take you by the Vore Buffalo Jump. You need to get off the interstate at Exit 199. You can also stop at the Wyoming Welcome Center, one of the nicer ones that we've seen.

Mentioned in this post
Wyoming
Wyoming
United States
5. Re: Hill City to Devils Tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2018, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Devils Tower