We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk around Devils Tower-Wheelchair accessible?

Grayslake, Illinois
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walk around Devils Tower-Wheelchair accessible?

Is the path around Devils Tower accessible? I have both a motorized scooter and a manual wheelchair that my husband can push me in. I believe the National Park service says it is not, but many times that means there are a few steps here and there that we could handle. What type of surface is the path made of? If it truly is not accessible to walk around, we're trying to decide if the extra time to go there is worth it on our way to The Black hills from Yellowstone.

Thanks for your responses.

4 replies to this topic
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk around Devils Tower-Wheelchair accessible?

Even if it turns out not to be accessible for you, it is worth a quick stop. It is so phenomenal up close and you can see it from the parking lot. It has been a number of years since I have been there. I remember walking around the base, but that time it was winter so no recollection of surface except *snow*, lol.

nps.gov/deto/planyourvisit/accessibility.htm

Pam

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
32,780 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk around Devils Tower-Wheelchair accessible?

It is paved but has some inclines- I have a bad hip and did not walk that far around it- but the rest of my family did. Visitor center is very accessible.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
23,788 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk around Devils Tower-Wheelchair accessible?

Plus you can see the prairie dog town by the entrance road from your vehicle!

Pam

T G
Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk around Devils Tower-Wheelchair accessible?

We walked around the base with a toddler in a pram, the walk is easy with slight inclines in some area. I agree with D0bby that Devils Tower is incredible and just to be in the car park at the base is an unbelievable experience.

You have the visitors centre at the base that is easily accessible and a trading post at the entry and the fields full of prarie dogs

Reply to: Walk around Devils Tower-Wheelchair accessible?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Devils Tower