We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planned for January 2013.

Sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
37 reviews
Trip planned for January 2013.

My first visit to New York was in Oct 2010. Like then I will travel with my family ( two kids 12 & 9). We did lots on our first visit for the 8 days we spent in NYC. This time I want to see the places I missed. I also want to visit interesting places to eat as I believe I forgot to plan this well last time. I have started to put some days together. This is only a start and I will be spending 10 days in NYC all up. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

1 Day •Washington square, Greenwich Village Lunch @ Peanut Butter & Co.

Basketball courts sixth ave between 3rd and 4th streets. Pizza dinner at John's Pizzeria.

1 Day• Times Square,Bryant Park, Grand Central, NY  Public Library, United Nations. Lunch or dinner  @ Ellen's Stardust.

1 Day •Brooklyn. Dumbo, park slope,Grimaldi Pizza for lunch, Walk Brooklyn Bridge.

1 Day• Flatiron, union square, chelsea market, high line, Chelsea

1 Day •Central Park, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim ( just to look at the outside) Lexington candy shop, Lunch at Gray's Papaya.

Note: I 'm trying to spent days within particular neighborhoods do as to not waste time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
105,198 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

Well the one thing you haven't taken into account is weather. You won't find any basketball games in January unless it somehow becomes unseasonably warm. In fact, I think it's unrealistic to assume you can spend an entire day in one area outside and have lunch and dinner there. Jan. is a good time to do some indoor museums or perhaps some outdoor activity like ice skating.

walkingoffthebigapple.com

has walks of various neighborhoods. Even if you don't follow any of them, it will give you a good idea of what's where so you're not walking aimlessly . You might also want to consider doing some walking tour with a guide. We had a trip report yesterday from txjeffrey in which they used Free Tours on Foot in several neighborhoods and enjoyed them.

freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/default.a…

On to your food choices:

Ellen's Stardust is mediocre food. If you go, go for breakfast, lunch or dessert, not dinner. Gray's Papaya is not near the Met or the Guggenheim but is on the west side and is just a snack bar. I agree it's good to plan some decent food, but the places you've listed are pretty touristy although some are good. Here's a list of 12 touristy places that serious eats lists as being worth going. A few are on your list.

…seriouseats.com/2011/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

Aussie: The United Nations takes a few hours, and is well worth the time. In January, they may be in session. There's nothing to see in Bryant Park, and it is even less pleasant in winter. I would do the UN in the morning, stop for a bite to eat once you're crosstown near the Library or Grand Central, and then take in these two sites. Do GC first so you are not stuck there during rush hour when you will not be able to appreciate it.

The Brooklyn Bridge will be cold and windy in January, like 5 to 10 degrees colder than the streets if the wind kicks up, so bundle up. On your day in Bklyn., take the train there and walk to Manhattan over the bridge; if you do it the other way, you're far from shelter on the Bklyn. side.

Central Park: Spend time at the zoo with the kids. They'll love it.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

Hi! You might want to look at my blog from last year's trip for some other ideas. If you check back after August I will be posting this year's trip and new maps marked with recommended restaurants and places to visit.

http://www.galatitravel.com/New_York.html

Cyndi

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
4. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

Why basketball in January?

Not much activity then.

And do remember weather will certainly impact outdoor activities whatever Mother Nature throws at you.

As for Ellen's Stardust Diner - you can do much better 5 minutes away!

Poppa

Ohio
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

We were there this past January and even though it was a mild winter, it was cold enough (and windy) that we had to plan exactly where to go. Wandering around, like we do in the summer, was downright painful! It also helps to know where public restrooms are because when you're cold it seems you need to go more :))

Be sure to bring layers of clothes, winter coat, gloves, scarves, hats are a must if you're outside for any length of time. Plenty of lotion and moisturizers are also good to have.

Sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess the weather will be an issue. But I can't avoid it can I. I'm planning on a fair amount of indoor stuff including seeing the Knicks, seeing Spiderman, Wicked, Public Library, GC, UN, Chelsea Mkt and Pier, Museums and Radio City Music Hall. Throw in a day and a bit of shopping. I was also hoping to see War Horse if it's still playing. I take the advice of mixing the indoor/outdoor activities otherwise I might freeze to death :) As for ice skating. Well a Giraffe on roller skates comes to mind.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,736 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

You can ice skate in Bryant Park and have access to a sort of building with heat and hot chocolate. ;) And you can rent skates there

Sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

I have refined our plans a little.

1 Day - The Met, Guggenheim( just outside), The Lexington Candy Store (lunch), walk around Central Park around the Belvedere Castle/Turtle Park area, Possible IceSkating. Broadway show @ night Spider-Man

1 Day- Breafast at Ellen's Dinner, UN Building and tour, Grand Central, ESB, NY Public Library. Broadway Show @ night Wicked.

1 Day - Chelsea Markets, Highline Walk, Chelsea Piers. Catch the Knicks @ night.

1Day - Flatiron, Eataly, Union Square, Max Brenner, Washington Square, Greenwich Village John Pizzeria for lunch.

1 Day- Staten Island Ferry( straight back), Battery Park, Charging Bull, NYSE, Fed Hall, Trinity Church, WTC ( no tour), NY Criminal Court, China Town ( lunch), Little Italy, Katz Deli.

1 Day- Kids Shoping Day including NBA shop, Nike Town, FAO, Toys R Us, Disney shop, M&M, Nintendo World, American Girl, Lego World, Apple Shop, Dylan's Candy Store. Radio City Music Tour or lower part of Central Park depending on weather., War horse @ night if still on or TOTR.

1 Day - Adults shopping day mixed with High Tea at the Plaza and possible ice skating at Rockerfeller.

1 Day - Broooklyn.

I have two spare days. Can I squeeze other points of interest in the areas I am visiting. Have I packed in too much on some days?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

it will be wonderful to be there after the Christmas crowds have gone.

Definitely walk the Brooklyn bridge-just rug up, we did in January. In fact my eldest son had an icecream from the Brooklyn Icecreamy just before we started

My kids loved the ice hockey the most out of all the sport on offer-can you fit in a game?Carmines was also a highlight for my kids especially dessert-just don't over order. Just wondering if you are flying straight to New York? If so the jetlag may be kicking in early evening at showtimes-can you do the shows a little later in your plans. I'll never forget looking at my family at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular on our second night and 3 of the family had their eyes shut. Have a great trip!

Sydney
Level Contributor
166 posts
37 reviews
10. Re: Trip planned for January 2013.

Thanks Jabbawocky. Good point about the jetlag. Not planning to do that in the first days of the trip. Last time my daughter fell asleep during Lion King. Barely made it through my self. Thanks about the Ice Hocky idea. I'm in for that. I'll also Look at Carmines. Thanks.