We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

I am a little concerned as I accidentally found a forum discussing Vrotels and now I am a little confused. My family and I certainly do not want o break any laws but we had hoped to rent something larger than hotels rooms for a trip to celebrate my father in law's 70th birthday. There will be 7 of us; Mum & Dad in law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, husband, 12 yr old daughter and me. We stayed at an apartment hotel in Vancouver and found the convenience of a kitchen and living room so helpful. Quick, homemade breakfasts plus the comfort of sitting space. Plus cooking facilities to ease dinner costs. I have found a company called Mivar Suites and their apartments look perfect in NYC. BUT is it legal? Would we be breaking the law? What are the possible consequences? Please forgive my ignornace but I have only just found the Vrotels forum and am ploughing through. I'm really not sure what the real isues are and so any constructive advice would be helpful.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

it probably is illegal. The consequences include not being allowed access and/or being evicted. There is a report on the forum of someone who received an eviction notice during their stay. Have you read the FAQ's on apartnet rentals?:-

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

There are a number of legal apartment style hotels such as the affinia group, the beacon, the salisbury, the marmara etc

do all 7 of you have to stay in the same place or can you get a couple of rooms?

Whats your budget and dates?

Edited: 29 March 2012, 12:10
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,688 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

Most private apartment rentals are NOT legal and to find something that would accommodate all 7 of you in one space would be rare. So the issue is not just the possible consequences (the most serious of which could include being evicted in the middle of your visit which has happened to others), but what places they could possibly come up with (and in what location) that would actually have the space you need.

Here from the FAQ on the right side of this page are the issues you need to understand

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c147344/New-Yo…

The Marmara is a residential hotel that has some 3 bedroom 3 bathroom suites, but even with that, your daughter will have to sleep on a sofabed and you'll likely pay dearly for it as that size space is so rare.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d121998-…

I don't get why you wouldn't be willing to split up into at least 2 spaces. There are loads of suite hotels (like serviced apartments) that have studio, 1 bedroom suites and some 2 bedroom suites, many of them with kitchens or kitchenettes.

Beaconhotel.com

is one of the most popular and the kitchenettes in their 1 and 2 bedroom suites have a regular cooker. (Many of the other suite hotels just have a fridge, microwave and coffee maker). You must phone or email about the 2 bedroom suites

Affinia.com

Best Western Hospitality

nycsalisbury.com

the Alex

are some other suite hotels.

One apartment that I believe is legal because the owners live in the building is this one

http://www.vrbo.com/138897

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

Thank you for the 2 very quick replies. Yes, we are VERY happy to split into 2 groups and the Mivar suites are advertsing several 2 bed apartments with sofa beds but apparently in the same building. I just do not want to break any laws and had only just found out about the 30 day rule which seems to have some cmplicated caveats.

My husband and I are quite seasoned travellers but my in-laws really need our help to get about (not very confident and my mother-in-law has severe arthristis and hearing problems so they need us close by) so ideally we need to be in the same building but happy to be in separate suites/apartments.

I will investigate the hotels and suggested websites.

Thanks so much for advice/help

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,688 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

You might also want to contact the London agency

www.apartments2book.com

who have contracts with a lot of the suite hotels and sometimes have better pricing. When you go to the website and chose NYC, you'll see a map with numbers. I've made a "cheat sheet" here with the names of the properties and their numbers on that site. You can read reviews here. You can also compare prices by getting a quote directly from the hotels as well. I'm going to include only the ones I think would work for you, but remember there are some other suite hotels not on this list.

1=Affinia 50

2=Affinia Manhattan

3 San Carlos

4-Best Western Hospitality

5=the Blakely

6=the Belvedere

7=Radio City apts.

8=Eastgate Tower

9=Murray Hill East Suites

10=Milburn

11=Beacon

16=Benjamin

27=the Manhattan Club

30=the Buckingham

34=Bedford

37= Affinia Dumont

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

Thank LMVManchester - read the link - will investigate oter options.

We are going for 5 days end October - beginning of November and happy to split into 2 groups - just need to be close by/same building.

Budget about £100 max a night per person (all in - but that's hoping to get kitchen and living space which I know is a tall order)

I've been to NYC twice before and stayed in hotels but hoping this time for a bit of home comforts just to ease the eating out costs and somewhere we can all chill together in the evening without necessarily going to bars/restaurants (although that is where I'd LIKE to be!)

Many thanks for your help

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

Thanks NYWhiz - really helpful. So glad I posted my question. Thank good old technology for forums!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,688 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

YIKES, fair warning, that time will be VERY expensive. Are you aware the NYC Marathon is the first Sunday in Nov. and hotels get filled to the max??? Prices fluctuate on supply and demand. If your dates are flexible, you might want to consider coming a week earlier or later. Between Halloween on the 31st and the marathon, you'll have a hard time I think getting something affordbable although your budget seems realistic for a "normal" time.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

Oh dear NYWhiz - did not realise this. The trouble with having a 12 year old is the annoying habit of making them go to school :o)

It's school Half term in the UK from October 27 to November 5, hence our dates are somewhat restricted.

Summer holiday also booked up so October was to be our next best time for my father-in-law's surprise birthday trip to NY.

Never mind we shall have to swallow the costs and just do our best to find the best - legitimate - place.

Thanks for all the advice - I shall investigate all options suggested

9. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 March 2012, 17:05
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting accommodation in NYC for 5 nights?

BAD advice - only the private rooms on Airbnb are legal