We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Norway
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Finally having my time off work next week and leaving for NYC! But, being extremely busy lately, I haven’t even had a chance to lock up what is worth seeing and doing in the city. Of course there is the obvious Empire State and Statue of Liberty, but other than that? What is worth spending time on?

Quite a big part of the trip is shopping, so we are thinking of using one day at an outlet mall. I read there is a big one about an hour (and a half) or so north of the city? Is this a recommended one, or are there better ones closer by?

Other than that we don’t have any particular preferences. Just want to see the best of what NY has to offer. Walking in nice neighborhoods or shopping streets, and spending time in cozy cafes and restaurants is a big part of that I think.

We’re arriving Wednesday night and leaving Monday night, which gives us 4 ½ days. Any suggested schedule for these days?

I read about the New York pass. A 3 day pass is 140$ if we buy it online, but I’m not sure well actually be benefitting from this… Any experiences?

Of course, traveling in March makes you kind of dependent on the weather as well, the long term forecast now says that Thursday is going to be good, so maybe this is a good day for a Manhattan sightseeing boat trip? This takes about 3 hour doesn’t it?

Well, as a first timer, I appreciate highly if you share your personal favorites of the city :-)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,891 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Start by reading the Frequently asked questions on the right -- answers are all by people who have shared their personal favorites.

Focus on the subway question because that is how you will get around. Search the site for the kind of shops you are interested in. I live here. My personal favorites are written up in my blog and in the few thousand posts I have answered.

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Not everyone travels with a well thought out, minute by minute, itinerary. There are lots of people, me included, who just like to play it by ear. But, the best way to be able to do this is by researching your various options.

If you are only here for 4 days, I would not waste one of them heading out to Woodbury Commons. There are plenty of great stores in town - and almost all of them will be running some form of sale or another. There are also discount stores like Century 21, Daffy's and for shoes, DSW.

I would make sure to spend some time in various NY areas and plan your days around that. Take a day Midtown - see a museum, go to Central Park, and of course Macy's. Do a day downtown including the Staten island Ferry, The Brooklyn Bridge, Wall Street and Century 21. Spend some time in the Village and SOHO where there are lots of little boutique type stores.

I would also recommend heading to Park Slope in Brooklyn. Fifth Ave there has turned into a mecca of shopping, dining and pubbing. Plus, you are near the Brooklyn Flea which is in nearby Fort Greene and would be an amazing place to get your shopping and dining fix.

Do the research. Figure out a bunch of things that you may want to do. And of course, realize that NYC is just simply too big and has too much going on to do and see everything that makes your list.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Ironically you've listed the 2 things that are most time consuming to visit (ESB and SOL) and with only 4 days, I wouldn't go to either. Instead of ESB, go to Top of the Rock which is a nicer experience and will give you views of the ESB. If you HAVE to go to ESB, buy tickets for that online in advance to avoid a line for buying tix. You'll still have to wait in line for the elevator.

The SOL is closed for renovation now. You can still take the ferry there and walk around Liberty Island, but unless you're interested in going to Ellis Island (worthwhile but maybe not for everyone and maybe not for a 4 day trip) but lines for security etc. are time consuming. A lot of people ride the free Staten Island ferry roundtrip for distant views of the statue. If you want to get closer (which I recommend) there are a bunch of cruises from different cos. like

nywaterway.com

nywatertaxi.com

circleline.com

that will get you close. Look on

goldstar.com

for discounts for one or more of these for your dates.

You might want to do an overview tour like the Grayline hoho or

onboardtours.com

if you've never been before and want to at least pass by the major places.

realnewyorktours.com

also offer a good overview using walking and subway.

walkingoffthebigapple.com

is a website I like for self guided walking tours of different areas.

If you plan on seeing any theater, have a look on

broadwaybox.com

on the left column to see if any of the discounted shows appeal to you.

Going to Woodbury Commons sounds like a wasted day when there's discount shopping in Manhattan, but a lot of tourists find it convenient to have a lot of stores in one place. Where are you staying?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

I should have said, if you DO want to go to SOL anyway, you MUST book online at

statuecruises.com

to avoid even more standing in line and waiting. The first ferry of the day is always the fastest trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

I think its great that you have no plans!

NYC is the type of place, compact as it is, that the whole is greater than sum of parts. I think almost anyplace in Manhattan, any random street, park, etc. is an adventure. Also you can catch a sight (like Statue of Liberty) without having to actually have an official and at times expensive tour).

I just spent last weekend with some Swedish and Dutch visitors. They liked:

Staten Island Ferry with view of Statue of Liberty

http://www.siferry.com/

a show at Lincoln Center (half priced, day of tickets availabl)e:

http://atrium.lincolncenter.org/

Choosing some random streets (such as Broadway or some east-west street) and just walking along for an hour or so

World Trade Center/Wall St. area/Brooklyn Bridge.

and some unique restaurants

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

What is the village Please?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
96,974 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Greenwich Village.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Thanks nywhiz, I shall look it up.

Norway
Level Contributor
171 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

Thank you so much for your kind replies!

We’ve been going through it all, and are going to take your advise on skipping ESB and SOL, and do Top of the Rock and another cruise instead.

Thanks for nice tips for NY shopping BrooklynMel. We will definitely try out the NY stores first to see if we’re satisfied with this, because I totally agree that it’s a shame losing one day in the City. The thing is that brand name clothes and shoes are soooo expensive in Norway, so that’s why we’re eager to shop.

I think we’ll enjoy pretty much the same as your Swedish friends NYNM. We Scandinavians love strolling, and we’re used to outdoor beer drinking in any weather :-)

Nywhiz: We’re staying at W New York Hotel. Got it on Priceline for 160 + tax. Not quite sure what to think about it due to its mixed reviews, so I guess we’ll see…

I love musicals, so we’ll definitely try to catch one or more shows. Thought we’d by same day tickets at the box office. The one show I would really like to see is Rock of Ages, but since the planning of this trip started just last week, all good seats are taken.... 260$ for a premium ticket, is a bit over my budget :-(

Thanks again for your help and links.

10. Re: Help! NY next week, and nothing planned....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2013, 10:25