We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air b 'n b

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
air b 'n b

Does anyone have any recent advice on using this service in New York? Is it a genuine accomodation service or are there people out there who have actually been fleeced that could tell me about their experience?

I would appreciate piece of mind on this service.

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air b 'n b

There have been a lot of recent reports of people getting scammed big time using Air B n B and some similar sites in NYC.

Short term rentals of less than 30 days are generally illegal in New York City. The City has been cracking down big time on the few people who actually have apartments to rent and who have been trying to evade the new law.

Most of the listings however are orchestrated by people offshore who simply pull pictures from realtors websites and list them as though they own the apartment. You wire money - very often it ends up in various places as far away from the United States as Africa, Eastern Europe and many other locations.

Many buildings have plenty of stories of people showing up at the front door asking for apartment such and such and the doorman tells them that they are the tenth fool to show up that day. People burst into tears - they quickly realize they've lost everything. They are in a big scary city 5 - 10, 000 miles from home and they are out most of the money they budgeted for the trip and they don't have any place to stay.

I suggest you steer clear of air b n b and you book yourself a legal and legitimate hotel. I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but better hearing it in the comfort of your own home than on a street corner after your money is gone and you've flown all the way to NYC from Brisbane.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: air b 'n b

While I agree that you should "steer clear of air b n b" it is perfectly to legal to rent a bedroom in your apartment. However, a building can carry its own laws and might not allow this sort of rental.

Airbnb is a company that allows individuals to list their extra room in their home/apartment. But, (as pointed out), there can be a lot of scams that abound. So filtering through what is legit and what is not is not a simple task.

In the end the choice is always yours. The simplest solution is to book a hotel or legit bed and breakfast.

Edited: 17 August 2011, 14:14
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air b 'n b

For all the reasons above, don't look at renting an apartment. Should you want a room in someone's apartment, then yes, it's a good service to use, as is Citylights:

http://www.citylightsnewyork.com/

Take a look at this thread (found in the FAQ, to the right of the forum) as to why you should not try to rent an apartment in NYC:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1563270…

Edited: 17 August 2011, 14:22
4. Re: air b 'n b

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 22:17