We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to get through immigration?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
How long does it take to get through immigration?

Immigration is what takes the longest when landing at US airports. We all know that. We also say to factor in an hour in total to get out of the airport.

Well, I've just found this - http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/ - Select your airport/terminal and choose seasonal average, and select the day you're landing, it'll give you an average of how long people waited, and the shortest/longest too.

I now know that my wait time on a Friday in September, getting into the American Terminal are

Noon to 1 PM Min - 16 Average - 22 Maximum- 36

No guessing needed now. Bear in mind that this doesn't factor in how long it'll take to get your luggage, but you will be able to see how long this element of the process it.

Hope it helps

M

Cape Sable Island...
Level Contributor
107 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

I am soo lucky in Halifax Nova Scotia. We have a US Customs in the Halifax airport so whenever I fly to the US I am already cleared and just have to pick up my luggage in Newark or JFK and crack on!!!!!

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
841 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

Same for us in Ireland Capie. Both Customs and Immigration. It's great to have it cleared before you fly into the US. We fly in as a Domestic flight now so no messing about.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

Cheers for that M!

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
106 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

That's the coolest thing. How did you stumble across it?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

I was surfing around, looking for specific information on passports for a friend. Found that, and messed about with it. Found it very useful, and had to let you all know.

M

Plymouth
Level Contributor
443 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

We are flying in via dublin in December. Can someone tell me how they work it that it is classed as a domestic flight so customs and immigration is done in Dublin as it confuses me slightly.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,593 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

"We are flying in via dublin in December. Can someone tell me how they work it that it is classed as a domestic flight so customs and immigration is done in Dublin as it confuses me slightly."

They have USA customs/immigration staff on duty at Dublin airport, you take care of things there before boarding your flight and arrive in New York as if you were on a domestic flight.

England
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

Mark....I tried it , the link didn't work and/ or make much sense,we have only had good experience of passing thru' customs,...no secret weapons (so to speak).

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
758 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

Great link, thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long does it take to get through immigration?

MrsPuddle - I've had good experiences as well, but as I said in my OP, normally everyone says that it's an hour to get through Immigration.

I know that isn't the case, as I've had times where I"m out of the airport, and sitting on the air train within 30 minutes, so it's nice to get a realistic estimate of time, to get out of the airport. It also reiterates my point of where you sit on the aircraft, because if you're one of the first off, you'll get processed much quicker than if you're at the back of the queue.

Now if the link didn't work for you, I can't do much more, apart from encourage you to make sure you have an up to date web browser.

M

Edited: 15 August 2011, 07:18