We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Patricks Day 2012

Level Contributor
17 posts
St Patricks Day 2012

Hi TA members, I know I have a while to wait but I have just booked my flight to JFK on 15/03/12 to enjoy St Patricks day in the city. This is my third trip and I am already counting the days till my return. This time I am travelling with my aunt who has never been, so I am determined to show her just how fabulous NYC is :). This is where I am hoping you can help. The main point of the visit is to watch the St paddys parade so any information on what happens and the time this kicks off would be much appreciated. Also are celebrations continued into the evening?. We also hope that you could suggest the best of Broadway at present please. Thank you in advance x

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: St Patricks Day 2012

Info about the route and time can be found on the official site, though of course you'll want to check back closer to the date in case there are any changes:

nycstpatricksparade.org/parade-information

Not sure what you mean by "celebrations" -- are you asking about bar-hopping and the like? If so, yes, that goes on all night.

By the time March comes around, many new plays and shows will have opened on Broadway -- the fall openings and most of the spring openings will have occurred -- so it's hard to say at this point what will be best then.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: St Patricks Day 2012

The parade starts at 11am usually at 5th ave and 44th and moves up 5th avenue--- anywhere near the Park (above 59th street) is a goodd place to watch IMO--- yes the celebrations (bar hopping) go on all night and much has been written here about the best places. I would avoid any "Irish Pubs"-- too many tourists

Level Contributor
17 posts
3. Re: St Patricks Day 2012

Crans and bilmin thank you for taking tje time to post. The website Is exactly what I was looking for. Also the route helps me to decide our best spot. I guess arriving early is the key. I never realised new shows started then so I will most definitely check back nearer the time. Thank you

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
83 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: St Patricks Day 2012

The Chieftains are playing at Carnegie Hall that night. They will also have "special guests" on stage with them.

go to the website for tickets

http://www.carnegiehall.org/

BAC
Level Contributor
488 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: St Patricks Day 2012

Do n't know where you are from, but the Parade is totally different to an Irish Parade on St Paddys Day. In NY it's a parade about marching bands, members of the fire and police services walking with colleagues etc. You watch them file past and it's fun for a while but it goes on for a very long time and I can sympathise with locals and workers who can get exasperated as it's impossible to cross 5th Avenue and only at specific crossings.

6. Re: St Patricks Day 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 05:15