We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day in New York 2011

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Christmas Day in New York 2011

We'll be in NYC (our 1st visit) for 2 weeks over X-mas & New Years and are looking for somewhere to have lunch on X-mas day, there are 2 of us and we're staying mid-town, budget is not a factor. Something a bit traditional would be nice. Also any ideas of something Christmasy to do in the afternoon/evening would be great! Thanks!

New Haven...
Level Contributor
504 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

No, there are no churches where you will be welcome to observe people at a religious service like they are animals in a zoo.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

Pentecostal? Isn't that the fire & brimstone crowd?

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

"Is there any gospel churches on christmas day. (meaning penetcostal) Where they have dancing choirs."

Are you kidding me?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

I am afraid that violins's remark is not without foundation, and the question is coming not from someone who wants to worship God in an unfamiliar way, but instead wants to gawk and gape at something eagerly regarded as a kind of amusing freak show, and as a source of jokes with which to amuse one's superior friends at home. Anyone who was remotely familiar with the religious traditions of pentacostals would know that not only don't they have "dancing choirs", but -- like most denominations in the "free church" tradition, including Baptists and similar "Bible churches" -- they don't typically have Christmas Day services at all, and their churches are usually shut up tight on December 25.

Springwood...
2 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

Wow, guys!! Thanks for that. :) And great, that there no churches where we are observed like animals in a zoo. The churches I'm talking about are Holy Spirit filled churches. You could say fire & brimstone, all depends on who you are talking too. With me, probably not a discussion on a TRIP ADVISOR. That’s more for on a religion discussion board. After reading some of the comments i thought I would find the churches myself and found many. The Journey Church, on 401 7th Ave, which will be open on Christmas, and Time Square Church on 1657 Broadway, 4th Floor. Also opened on Christmas. And guess what, they dance. On previous comment about not knowing the Pentecostal traditions. Your right. I don’t know them in America and how they are viewed. But I do know that one of the greatest spiritual revivals came out of America in downtown Los Angeles on Azusa Street. And that is where the first institutional practice of Pentecostalism came from. And in that God spoke in different ways to people in forms of healing, spiritualism, and information states that there were lots of dancing involved as well. I know in Australia 'Hillsong Church" is one of the biggest Pentecostal churches here in Australia, their choir, are not afraid of dancing when they are feeling his presence. Have a read of The Azusa Street Mission and Revival by Cecil M. Robeck, or The Pentecostal Church in America By KEVIN SACK, its good. Anyway, thanks for your input everyone, disregard the church comment if necessary, but I'm still interested in known what is the best way to find suitable accommodation, and TRIP ADVICES. Hence the whole reason why I'm on this type of travelling forum. :)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

Paragraphs!

please, use the enter key and split your conversation into easy to read paragraphs.

Additionally, it may be better if you ask the questions you want to ask in your own thread, rather than jumping on and resurrecting a year old thread.

Also, there are hotels that have 2 bed apartments available, ask that again in your new thread, and post your per night budget in US$

M

47. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 May 2012, 14:35
Edited: 07 May 2012, 14:35
New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

A complete lack of knowledge of religious sects is shown by thinking that the terms "gospel church" and "pentacostal church" are necessarily synonymous; most gospel churches are NOT pentacostal, and most .gospel choirs are found in non-pentacostal churches. Furthermore, the idea that one is going to watch the "dancing" of the "choir" suggests that one expects the congregation (or should we say "audience"?) to be sitting and observing passively, rather than being involved in the same way so that the bodily movements of the choir would be no different from those of any other person in the church. That hardly sounds like a real pentacostal service, and instead soulds like a show, with choreography.

In any case, the fact remains that gospel churches (pentacostal or otherwise) typically do not have services on December 25, unless it is a Sunday.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 21:29
49. Re: Christmas Day in New York 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2013, 10:24