We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

My daughter's high school band has been selected to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving parade in 2012. I would really like to go and see her march in it. Is it true that the parade route will be changed from the traditional route because of construction in Times Square?

When is the best time to find a spot along the parade route? I am rather short and I don't want to stand behind someone!

Thank you for your replies.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

The route was already changed last year from the traditional route. There is yet another change coming -- but the question is whether that will be introduced this year, or next year.

If you want to find a spot at the front of the crowd, you should expect to be in place no later than 6 AM - although 5:30 would be better.

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

Is there a package that allows you to watch the parade from a restaurant or some other enclosed area?

McLeansville, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

Yes the route has changed for 2012. I am also going in 2012 because one of our local Universities will be marching in the parade. I have been before and my 5 am wake up call was not early enough. By the time we left Jersey and arrived at Penn Station and walked to Central Park to view the parade, the lines were already long. I am 5'1 on a good day so my calfs were burning once the parade was over. It was so amazing and so exciting. We are planing on being there EARLY in 2012 or getting a hotel with a view. Yes it is expensive, but it just may be worth it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

What is a good hotel to rent to view the parade?

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

How much are you willing to spend?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

I don't know. I just started investigating and NY prices may be more than I think. Do you know of a few in different price ranges? Thank you for your help.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,201 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

Here is an article from this year with hotels and 2011 room rates: the cheapest start at $500 per night, but most are in the $900 to $1500 range. You'll have to book for next year in the next few days and pre-pay at most of these hotels.

…about.com/od/thanksgiving/a/parade_hotel.htm

Edited: 22 November 2011, 21:53
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

Always a killjoy BB--- that's how to end a thread. I wonder if these people are saying --- oh that can't be right ?????

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

If anyone is saying that can't be right, I can attest that I paid $400 per night at the Marriott Marquis for a parade view room, and that was nearly 20 years ago, so I can only imagine what rooms cost now.

West Trenton, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2012

Hi

How do I get tickets to Macy's grandstands and a hotel on the parade route