We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May visit

Halifax, Canada
8 posts
Save Topic
May visit

We will be visiting NYC the first week of May...have decided to stay in Long Island at the Country Inn and suites and get the train in. It says its a one block walk (how far is a block?) to the train station and a 2 stop train ride into the city. Just want some feedback, is this a good plant to stay in Long Island?Any thoughts on the hotel?

As this is will be the first time visiting NYC we want to make it a great trip with no wrong decisons, so any hints etc would be great.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May visit

Be aware it's Long Island City, Queens. Long Island is a totally different place, and way further out of the city!

I've stayed at the Country inn and Suites twice in the past year, and recommend it highly, It's a pretty new hotel, we''ve stayed in the 'city view' rooms both times, and they are good. Big rooms, microwave and little fridge which is handy too. It's just a nice clean modern hotel.

The block in question isnt' like a regular Manhattan block, so hard to explain! It's say abour 3 or 4 mins walk from the hotel to the subway station. Check the subway map for an idea.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May visit

I recently stayed there as well and have no problems recommending it either.

Actually, there are 3 subway stops close by....the nearest 2 only a few minutes walk, the third a bit longer......I only used that one upon arrival from JFK and not for getting in and out of Manhattan

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May visit

I looked at the aerial map, and it doesnt seem to have much around it such as restaurants etc. But seems like a decent hotel, with free breakfast and apparently a small refrigerator in room.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May visit

@Karen, I guess this hotel is one to choose when you want to go budget and still have a decent place to sleep....it doesn't really have a great immediate surroundings, but they're not bad either.

Manhattan is only a few minutes by subway.....and then you have all the restaurants in the world to choose from, basically....

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May visit

as Meyem says, not a whole lot around the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Still, you can get a basic breakfast at the hotel, which is handy. And there is a 24 hr gas station next door with a store that sells all the basics you could need! Including beer ;-)

There are 2 or 3 take out places within close walking distance, and others further that will deliver. But honestly, it so close and convenient to the city, its no bother at all staying there.

A king room in January was $62 plus tax. That's an incredible rate even for winter when rates are cheaper.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May visit

The best way to visit NYC for the first time is to stay IN Manhattan. If you can't find affordable accommodation in Manhattan, then staying in Long Island City (esp if you're flying in and out of either JFK or LGA) is a decent option. But as others say, there's not a lot around this hotel so you're really using it just to sleep. Here's a map with the distance to the closest subway station.

http://bit.ly/gmuouK

There are 2 other subway stations within walking distance. The Verve is another hotel in LIC that's a bit nicer and a bit nearer a subway station.

You won't find a decent hotel in Manhattan at $100/night or less unless you get lucky bidding on Priceline. Depending on how long you're staying, you could book a hotel in LIC as cancelable with no fee and closer to the trip, try bidding on Priceline if you're willing to pay a bit more.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May visit

Hi worlass1,

The area around the Country Inn is one of former factories, different City authority buildings, small restaurant businesses, and a kind of "Hub" in Queens for transport. You will be within brief walking distance (less than 5 min.) for all of the subway trains at Queensborough Plaza (elevated at that stop), and less than a 10 min. walk for the underground subway trains at Queens Plaza (slightly East, in the opposite direction from the Queensborough bridge). The hotel concierge will help you sort it out. Actually, you can walk across the Queensborough Bridge into Manhattan (many people do it even to commute -- It's about a 30-min. brisk walk (faster if you're very fit, slower if not)--I have done so many, many times). Walking, as well as taking the buses, brings you to the juncture in Manhattan where 3rd Avenue meets 60th St. (and where the tram for Roosevelt Island stops). At QBorough Plaza you can take either the Q60 bus across the bridge (its last stop is right there across from the Roosevelt tram) or Q32 (which keeps going down 60th to 5th Ave., then turns Southward, eventually ending at Penn Station/34th St.

Good food options nearby:

If you get onto the Q or N trains and continue Queens-ward, disembark at Broadway or 30th Ave. You're now in Astoria, Queens, where the highest number of Greek people outside of Athens live. There is great Greek food everywhere, and a great mix besides (Brazilian, German, Latino, Irish, Romanian, Korean, Italian, Indian, Pakistani). Suddenly you are no longer in a post-industrial hub but an actual neighborhood. I would suggest getting off at Broadway and trying at least one restaurant, like Cafe Omonia. Their coffees are WONDERFUL, and they have so many pastries you won't know what to choose. http://www.omoniacafe.com/

You can eat in Manhattan all the time, of course, or get the best Patstitsio, Spanikopita, and especially Moussaka this side of Greece itself. (I gained a lot of weight having Moussaka from Pinocchio Palace, 32-02 30th Ave, Astoria, NY 11102, 718-721-9636...Addictive!)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May visit

I've had a look at your old posts and note you were talking about riding motorbikes here. If that's still the case, I think Long Island City is not a great place to be since most of the garages are not enclosed and the hotels don't guarantee parking. The Travel Inn is the only hotel in Manhattan with free parking and I seem to recall it's a closed garage.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: May visit

C&I offers (very) limited free parking. BTW, it's actually closer to 41 Street than the link in Whiz' s post suggests....

I agree a Manhattan hotel is definitely nicer to taste the athmosphere, but I still think the hotels in this area are a great budget choice....

Edited: 05 February 2011, 16:40
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May visit

....having said that, I admit that for my May stay with my niece (her first time visit), I prefer the very basic Americana Inn for it's location over a more luxurious C&I..... ^_^