We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change of hotel

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Change of hotel

I have just changed my hotel booking from The Country Inn, Long Island City to On The Avenue (broadway, 79th st).

Costing about an extra $50 in total but do people think that is a wise move?

Cheers.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change of hotel

Absolutely...reviews are good and neighbourhood very nice...enjoy!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change of hotel

Yes-- while I like both places anytime you can be in Manhattan it is better and more convenient for the trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change of hotel

Hey nick..it's actually on 77th Street..and yes, great move;-) Fabulous UWS area loaded w/locals..easy transport..think you'll enjoy!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change of hotel

I'm not familiar with the hotel itself, but we love the UWS. Such a fabulous neighbourhood with great stores (our fave is Zabar's), restaurants (we enjoyed Artie's NY Deli), closeness to the Subway..... and especially Central Park! A great walking area.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change of hotel

Although you won't get free b/f that Country Inn offers and the cheapest rooms are small at On the Ave, it will be much more convenient being in Manhattan and having nearby restaurants and shops. The Manhattan Diner across the street from the hotel is very good for inexpensive meals including breakfast.

menupages.com/restaurants/manhattan-diner/

Don't miss having a cookie at Levain's.

www.menupages.com/restaurants/levain-bakery/

London
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change of hotel

Thanks for the posts everyone. NYWhiz - will definitely be checking out those two places you mentioned for Breakfast and cookies!

Cant wait now, 19 days to go! Just hoping and preying that Mother Nature doesnt decide to drop tonnes of the white stuff on London or New York!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,666 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change of hotel

We got another dusting yesterday.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change of hotel

..you won't go hungry in this neighborhood;-) You can also check out nikosgrillnyc.com/ right across the Street on the corner of 76th Street and Broadway..up the block you'll find bignicksnyc.com/ known for their pizza and burgers but both also offer breakfast..and well as lunch/snacks/dinner throughout the day;-) They always have some tables/chairs set up outside..not unusual to find folks taking a break over a cup of coffee watching the world go by even in the cold! Keep enjoyin'!

Edited: 08 January 2011, 13:54
Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change of hotel

As nywhyz states, for that price you;ll probably have one of the smaller rooms....how about taking some pictures and upload them when you get back? I'd be grateful for that...^_^

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,055 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change of hotel

Although there's some variation amongst the rooms because On The Ave is an older property and not a cookie-cutter hotel, the average Standard room is 240 sq. ft. So they're not all that small by NYC standards, e.g., the rooms at the Hampton Inn Madison Square Garden are 215 sq. ft; the cheapest rooms at a fair number of the boutique hotels, such as the Giraffe, 70 Park Ave, and Morgans, are smaller still.

FYI, Meyem, to get a room at OTA with 2 beds (which I think is what you want), you'll have to book a Deluxe Room with 2 double beds; those are about 280 sq. ft. Unlike many hotels, OTA does provide the info re: room sizes right on its own web site. And based on my stay there (when I asked to see rooms in categories other than the Penthouse Suite we were in), I'd say their info is reliable.

Have a great stay, Nick!