We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
570 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in January

We are planning a 3 night trip to NY around 17th January, can anyone let me know what the weather is usually like in january? Does it rain?

Thanks

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January

Since January is one of the worst winter months in NYC, rain, sleet, and snow along with wind and frigid temperatures wouldn't be a surprise at all. Of course, you might hit a week during the 'January thaw' that could be much less awful.

If you get caught in the cold rain you can always just pop into a gallery, a restaurant, a museum, a shop or a bar. wunderground.com will give you an indication of historical weather patterns but of course doesn't predict the weather for Jan. 2011.

dublin
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January

Hi. I have been going to NY in January for many years, and it it always FREEZING. Seriously, it gets so cold there... but I love it! Once you wrap up really well, warm coats, hats, scarf & gloves, you will be fine... It might snow too, but it can add to the experience! New Yorkers handle the weather and particularly snow really well, so the city doesnt come to a standstill like Ireland would!

New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January

January is our coldest month and it can be pretty brutal for a period of time. We can get a prolonged period (like 10+ days) of temperatures staying below freezing. It will typically be dry when it is the coldest but then it can warm up and snow or it may have just snowed before the deep freeze. When the snow falls immediately prior to a deep freeze, then you've got frozen slush puddles and rock solid mounds of shoveled snow filled with coffee stains and dog urine and who knows what else.

No, January isn't my favorite month. We hit 103 degrees this past July and I was very happy. People say it gets humid and the subways get a bit sticky but I won't complain about that. It is the cold that I can't stand. But you should be able to get great deals on hotels, Restaurant Week, sales at all the stores.

Newbridge, Ireland
Level Contributor
570 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January

Thanks for the replies, the hotel deals are calling me towards january :) I mean if I wrap up really well i should get through the 3 days, I love cold weather (being from Ireland I have no other option) but ye make it sound super cold. I think i'll chance it.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in January

go for it!

I've been to New York many times in the winter, sure it can get very cold - but not as cold as it was in Chicago during the winter - now THAT was cold!

I like the cold better than heat though, so I'd choose a winter trip ahead of a summer trip any time.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in January

What do you consider cold, temperature wise?

Around here I think 30F and below is cold.

I travel to NYC, only 90 minutes from where I live, very similar weather and never had a problem with it being super cold.

It is all what you are used to - just this February - we were in for the weekend and the temperature was 55-60 and there we came across a contingent from the UK who looked like they were dressed for an Arctic expedition and bitching about how cold it was - my wife and I had on light jackets over sweaters, no gloves.

So, just live with whatever weather you get whilst here - not much you can do about it.

Poppa

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in January

Give it a go, we had our first trip in January and it was -.5% but the sun was shining every day for 6 days. You also get the benefit of less crowds. It was when we got hooked on New York

8. Re: Weather in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2011, 04:18