We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel ideas and help with sports events please

Which New York City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
portsmouth england
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
hotel ideas and help with sports events please

coming to NY 23-28th Oct for 1st trip. Mum and teenagers boy 15 and girl 17 from UK,.

Looking for room/suite/hotelapartment pref with 3 beds and kitchen(ette) but would consider anything safe and fairly central near to good subway. Son cannot walk too far or too fast. Have looked but having trouble. Budget $3-400ish including tax, Hoping to see all the usual sights.

Daughter wants to shop but son has been promised some sport , sorry not American Football, but anything else would be good .I have looked on Broadway Box and main teams websites but nothing much seems to be on he/we would enjoy the new experiences of anything and would consider college games or pre/post season. Any suggestions for games or even sports related activities/tours would be great as my knowledge of sport in general is not great.

Also if he wanted to go on his own would this be sensible could we drop off and pick up after

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

Broadway Box is not the place to look for sporting tickets - I would check StubHub if the team's website doesn't get you what you want. The New York Rangers (hockey team) will be playing at Madison Square Garden while you're here.

I don't want to pry, but it might be helpful if you can explain what keeps your son from walking too far or too fast. This is a city that requires a lot of walking, and we will be able to give better advice if we understand the issue better. Are stairs an issue? If so, you might not want to think about subways as your main form of transportation, and plan to take city buses instead, for example. You may also want to look into handicapped accessible seating at any sporting events.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

Ice hockey!

New York Rangers have a couple home games at Madison Square Garden during that time. Well worth a visit. Exciting sport in the worlds most famous arena!

They have a game 'v New Jersey Devils on the 24th and against Atlanta Thrashers on the 27th.

Devils game will be the tougher ticket to get, as they are a close and hated rival! Atlanta tickets would be easier to get.

Tickets go on general sale Sep 16 I think. Also you can look at stubhub.com for tickets.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 21:34
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

When it comes to professional sporting events ... IF baseball is still being played it will most likely be the final days of the World Series and we don't yet know who will be playing.

The New York Knicks (basketball) are out of town when you are in NY.

How about Hockey? The Rangers play at Madison Square garden on the 24th and 27th.

You could check their website for tickets and if none are available, try stubhub.com

I cannot comment on you could drop off your son and pick him up because I know nothing about him, not even his age.

As for hotels ... have you looked at the usual "apartment style" or suite hotels such as those by any of the Affinia hotels (Shelburne, Eastgate Towers, etc --- see affinia.com) or the Radio City Apartments or the Beacon? Most of those will offer setups with 2 beds and a sleep sofa and some offer 3 beds.

OOOPS ... missed where you said he was 15 ... it depends on how comfortable he is with city environments as to whether or not you could drop him and meet him later.

Edited: 07 September 2010, 21:42
portsmouth england
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

thanks for the all sporting info will try Stub Hub which I used to get tickets for Orlando Magic which were great

Son is 15 and was born with dislocated hips and club feet . thanks to a great surgeon he is mobile but slower than ordinary teenagers and 10-15 minutes at a time is best. He can manage stairs so long as not 100s of them and is fine on the Tube in London where most stations have escalators and I thought the subway would be the same .

He wouldn't qualify for any disability concessions here so i guess it would be the same in USA

So far as hotels i have looked at Affinia but it has such mixed reviews I was a bit put off as the holiday is an exam reward for daughter and if we got an experience like the bad reviews she would hate it. ....for her NY is glamour fashion shopping and style just like on TV!

Lots of the others are full I hadn't realised Oct was such a popular month in NY. We chose it becos children are on vacation here.I just wondered if there were any less wellknown places we could try

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

Don't count on escalators in most subway stops and many have lots of stairs.

You may want to look into using the MTA bus system that may be easier to navigate and can usually get you close to your destination by using an up and down town bus and then a cross town bus if necessary.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

You should sign up on the Rangers website now to receive notification when tickets are going on sale. Better to try their official site then buying first on StubHub.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
93,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

There are a bunch of different Affinia hotels and I have no idea which ones you think are getting bad reviews. For a room with 3 beds at that time of year you'll pay dearly. The Affinia Manhattan is across from MSG and not far from a lot of shopping along 34th st. The Benjamin is one of the nicer ones in the group.

Strangers on the internet can't advise you about sending a boy they don't know to a game alone. Would you do it at home? There may be stairs he needs to climb at MSG.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,530 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

Most stations don't have escalators, but they're not as far underground as in London either. I would be prepared after your first day to take the bus if the stairs are more than he can handle.

Which Affinia gets such bad reviews?

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

Thanks for the feedback.Tried to reply yestrday but computer crashed.

Affinia Manhatten and 50 have had mixed reviews on a different site to TA I got to it from TA but can't remember name had lots of real photos on it,

Caan push budget to Eastgate Towers or Salisbury hotel . salisbury seems to be more central would that be right. Price is about the same, Which is more likely to have cheap eats close in the evening?

Will register for Hockey tickets tonight. I wouldn't send son on his own just on replies I get on here but when we travel in UK he goes quite happily to Premier and 1st division football. I just wondered if crowds were so big that it would be difficult to meet afterwards and/or as in UK some matches caused more potential problems than others becos of fierce rivalries

Can anyone tell me what Highline is/ Its recommended on here as a n activity Teens might enjoy??

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel ideas and help with sports events please

What reviews are you reading for the Affina properties?

786 people rate the Shelburne very good or excellent

59 rate it average

75 rate it below average ( and it was renovated about 18 months ago, so you'd need to check dates)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93543-R…

675 reviews rate Eastgate Tower very good or excellent

93 rate it average

53 rate it below average

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93435-R…

1246 reviews rate the Affinia Manhattan very good or excellent

155 rate it average

143 rate it below average

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93562-R…

One recent "average" review had to do with the concierge's reaction to a Yankees game during Hurricane Earl. I'd say it's fine that the concierge was distracted .... preparing the hotel for a hurricane is more important than "what happens if my game gets cancelled." They were disappointed that the concierge didn't call Yankee Stadium .... GIVE ME A BREAK!!

Only a tiny percentage of teh reviews are "below average".

You can't please everybody 100% of the time and if you read the reviews, ignore the whining, the people who think they got cheated because they were charged tax, etc, etc ... the reviews look great. I personally have stayed at two affinia properties in NY and willseek them out again there and in other cities when possible.