We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

and I will try as many as I can when I'm there !!! lol

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

My favorite bars. Hmmmm. I guess that my regular place is The Gate in Park Slope. [Fifth Ave and 3rd St.] They always have a great selection of beer, and I love hanging out at the outdoor patio during the warmer months. It is totally laid back with dogs, kids and whatnot. Lots of people bring food from outside to dine on. Special mention to Biercraft that has the most awesome selection of beer ever, free tastings on Tuesday, and great snacks as well [5th Ave and Lincoln]

In Williamsburg, I was always a stalwart at the Brooklyn Brewery, and still go back. But it has become so crowded that I often opt for Radegast Hall on N3 and Berry Street. If that gets too crowded, I'll head to Loreli under the BQE near the Hotel LaJolie.

In Manhattan I like the Blind Tiger Ale House, Burp Castle, dba, and The Peculiar Pub. All are in the Village.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

I've not had the chance to try Lorely just yet, as it wasn't open when I hit NYC last time.

Manhattan - I like Mudville 9 down on Chambers / West Broadway, and also Village Pourhouse on W 11th Street.

Williamsburg, I can second the Brewery too, it is an experience in itself, and there are plenty of pubs around the area you can try. Other gems I like (rather than repeating what Mel has already mentioned), are Spike Hill, just as you exit the L train stop, Brooklyn Ale House, and Teddys are on opposite corners of each other, and if you did head down to Radegast, you could walk a bit further down Berry St, to South 4th Bar, which I kinda like for daytime drinking.... nice and laid back..

M

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

I can't compete with these first two designated experts but I like Ship of Fools

on Second Avenue and 84th when the Red Sox are on.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

Huge fan of Flatiron Lounge and their sister place in Brooklyn, Clover Club. Top-notch cocktails without the hassles of PDT, M&H, etc.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

A Bosox bar named "Ship of Fools". Does seem sort of appropriate. Maybe you can watch the Sawx playoff games there. Oh? What's that? No playoffs for the Sox this year. Maybe you can just sit in Big Sloppy's shade and imagine what might have been.

Mark, if you are staying at LaJolie again, my guess is that you will just set up sort of a rope descent directly into the Loreli beer garden. They have a dark beer that is just lip smacking delicous. Decent burgers too.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,192 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

Currently, favorite bar is Guantanamera on 8th...

guantanameranyc.com/media/guantanamera.html

One of the bartenders, Martine in the small, black fedora, makes great mojitos and you can sit at the bar and have a selection of tapas. The conch ceviche is very tasty. They have a 1/2 priced happy hour and live music some nights, latish.

Pjk

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

Jeremy's Ale House near the Seaport.

Great dive bar, usually a fairly young crowd (but they welcome oldsters like me), known for serving beer is huge styrofoam cups which keeps them pretty cold.

Their motto is "Beer isn't just for Breakfast Anymore"

Motto stems from the fact that seaport workers would go there in the morning after finishing work - I believe they still open early.

icf
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

As a person who only visits once a year i can't really claim to have a favourite bar but i did enjoy the rum lounge at the edison hotel last year and also the irish pub just down from the wellington hotel where we stayed in 07 and 08,

Darren

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

"house of brews" on 51st and 8th, right in midtown. If you are a beer fan, they have a huge selection. They also have another location on 47th, between 8th and 9th.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's you favourite bar in NY & why ? ......

Tonic Times Square.

Recognisable by the inflatable Giants and jets fan outside.

Watch Big Blue late games upstairs where the music hasn't replaced the commentary.

Stout (w 33rd ) across from Hotel Pennsylvania for Mets and Yankees.