We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

London
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

Hello!

I am going in August to New York for the first time and want to explore the city. My husband and I are both in a late 20's.

I have seen a few hotels and I want to book one today or tomorrow. Before I do I just wanted to know if it is worth staying in Times Square of just outside of it?

The two hotels I am considernig are Hilton Times Square or Jumeriah Essex Towers oppositte central park.

Both of these hotels do not offer breakfast and the price I pay is just for the room, however they are both near a subway also and they both seem like the provide good service.

Any help or recommendations please?

Thank you!

Zooloo

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

I have gone to business meetings at Essex House. Can't comment on the actual rooms, but the location, across from Central Park, I would take that over Times Square in a heat beat.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

No contest, I'd go with the Essex House. The lowest rates you'll find will not have park views though, if that's a consideration.

Before you book, wait for the NYC hotel experts, NYWhiz and CockleCove, to weigh in.

London
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

Thank you for your comments. They both are near subways. I think Essex Tower one is a few minutes walk to the Subway and Times Square is oppositte.

How far is Times Square from Essex Tower on the subway?

I agree with people that its not important that much about what the hotel is like as long as it is near a subway.

Both of them are near subways, so just wanted to know which one was better.

I'll wait for the hotel whizz's to add their views!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

The Essex House is a 10-minute walk to Times Square. It is too close to make the subway worthwhile.

And realistically, as people in your late 20s, you will probably spend very little time in and around Times Square unless you're seeing a lot of theater. The East Village, West Village, Lower East Side, and Soho are much better areas for younger restaurants and nightlife.

Edited: 14 July 2010, 16:01
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

SO agree with Crans..It should be seen, it's iconic NY....But you wil not want to hang out there.

The Village is cooler and MUCH more interesting..:)..A short subway ride away. No need to stay near

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

If you stay in Central Park, you're going to need a tent, and you'll probably get a ticket!

;o)

Wow, I can't believe I was the first person to make that joke on this thread!

zooloo83 - in the right margin of this forum is a list of TOP QUESTIONS about NEW YORK CITY. The 10th question on that list is this page all about neighborhoods.

Which Area Should I Stay In?

Most all hotels in Manhattan are easily accessible by public transit, and all areas are safe. Probably the least desirable area to stay is at an airport hotel. This summary describes our different 'hoods.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-s204/New-York-…

I agree with Crans and dee that a hotel in Chelsea, the East Village, the Lower East Side or Soho would be a better fit for you two.

Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

Were is East and West Village near? Is that near Central Park?

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,064 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

No, not really...

A map of the city would help you very much...:)

Is there a reason that you must be near Central Park?? The only "luxury" accomodation of which I am aware in the Village is The Gansevoort.

If you want to get to Central Park, it's a quick and easy subway ride

London
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

Sorry Im going to look at a map now! :)

I don't need to stay at central park, its just I was looking at hotel deals and the Jumeriah Essex Tower oppositte Central park came in my budget, however the Hilton Times Square hotel also came in my budget too. They both seem like decent hotels, so wanted to check which one would be better. I know I am not going to stay in a hotel long, however I don't want to have to come back to a nice clean bed, good service and also the hotel should have convenience access, such as the subway being close.

Thats why I asked about the two locations!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,460 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Should I stay in Times Square or Central Park?

If you are looking at Central Park vs. Times Square take the Central Park location. Its convenient to the park obviously, an easy walk to Times Square and if you want an easy subway ride to anywhere else in the city including the village, Soho, Chinatown and any other tourist spot of your liking.

If however you want a hip neighborhood then stay if possible in Soho which is walking distance to the village if the price is right for your budget.

Get answers to your questions about New York City