We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

St. Louis
Level Contributor
353 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

I just became aware of TDF Membership for those living outside NYC. We qualify as seniors. I'm wondering if anyone reading this has used this means to get tickets to Broadway/Off-Broadway shows and if so, how do you feel about it. We'd like to see a couple shows while in NYC and would prefer not to spend time in line to get reduced tickets. Thanks for any advice.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,194 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
543 Reviews
from US$34.00*
new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

That is one way but you also can use Broadway Box to get discounted tickets in advance without standing in line.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
353 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

It appears that the tickets through TDF are from $20-$37. So that is a considerable discount even over the discounted tickets. But I don't think you know where your seats will be. (I may be wrong about that.) It says "best available" but I'm not sure if that is at the time of purchase or when you arrive at the box office.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

Congrats, Maltese!

The "national" TDF membership is great for repeat visitors who always like to squeeze in a show while they're here.

But, since it's a discount "seat filler" operation, you'll never see Wicked or Jersey Boys being offered.

Members can order tix to previews, "second tier" shows which are often sleepers or cult hits, or unknown shows that will become hits later.

For example, God of Carnage, The Producers and Wicked were on TDF.org for WEEKS in previews before everyone realized it was a hit. (Stupid me did NOT see any of them. ARGH!!)

They also offer dance and music performances (e.g. B.B. King shows, Paul Taylor Dance, Mostly Mozart festival.)

Popular shows that are fun but not blockbusters are usually on there, too, such as 9 to 5, The 39 Steps, I Love You...You're Perfect...Now Change, Little Mermaid, Xanadu and Legally Blonde. Right now Toxic Avenger is on TDF.org, and I highly recommend it.

Enjoy, and let us know what you go see!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

Forgot to mention that we got to see Next To Normal via TDF, before it became a hit, and it is GREAT! It's intense and a tear-jerker, but it's an awesome show.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
353 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

Do you know where you are sitting before you arrive at the theater? I'll read about Toxic Avenger but 9 to 5 sounds like fun. (One of our group just lost her husband so I'd like to keep it light.)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

Sorry, 9 to 5 closed. I was just using it as an example.

Toxic Avenger is ridiculously silly and has satire, physical comedy and gross-out humor. It's not depressing...unless you're from New Jersey. ;o)

The 39 Steps is also very light-hearted. IMHO, it's an Alfred Hitchock in name only. It has nearly nothing to do with the mystery movie. It's really a showcase for physical comedy, slapstick, bad puns and fun props. (Personally, I did not like it, but that's just me. Most people enjoy it.)

If you want fun and upbeat, do NOT see Next To Normal. It's essentially a tragic opera. Good for a good cry.

Note that TDF.org usually sells tix about 2-3 weeks out, so it requires some commitment.

No, you don't know what seats you'll get, but I've never been too disappointed. You're usually in rear Orchestra (under the mezz overhang, so you might miss the top of sets) or side mezz.

Not to worry, most older theaters are small, so you're never too far away. We got side mezz seats for HAIR through TDF, and it was still awesome!

(The only concern would be if you have trouble with stairs. If so, you should write to TDF about disabled seating. They have a web page on that.)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

Here's what's available on TDF.org now, selling tix through most of Sept.

You can read descriptions here:

www.playbill.com

BROADWAY/OFF B'WAY:

39 Steps

A Boy And His Soul

After Luke And When I Was God

After Miss Julie

Aftermath

Altar Boyz

Blind Lemon Blues.

Buddha Play, The At Baruch Performing Arts Center

Cambria/Douglas: Frederick Douglass Now

Cambria/Douglass: The Cambria

The Columbine Project

Danny And Sylvia: The Danny Kaye Musical

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels At The Patchogue Theatre

Don't Leave It All To Your Children!

An Evening At The Carlyle

The Fantasticks

Fathers And Sons

Fuerzabruta: Look Up

Gazillion Bubble Show

Happily Ever Laughter: Stewie Stone, Dick Capri, Marilyn Michaels At Queensborough Performing Arts Center

I Love A Piano At Brooklyn Center For The Performing Arts

In The Daylight.

Las Comadres Of Comedy At Queensborough Performing Arts Center

Let Me Down Easy

Mahida's Extra Key To Heaven

My First Time

Naked Boys Singing

Next To Normal On Broadway

Perfect Crime

Phantom Of The Opera

Puppetry Of The Penis.

Sessions: A New Musical

Still Life

The Toxic Avenger

Vigil

MUSIC:

A Bronx Messiah (Handel) At Lehman Center For The Performing Arts-Orchestra Seating

Allen Toussaint Brunch At Joe's Pub

Antonio Lysy, Cello And Pascal Roge, Piano Music At Symphony Space

Chamber Concert With Metropolitan Opera Musicians At Symphony Space

Chelsea Opera Chamber Orcestra

Cris Groenendaal At Castle On The Hudson, Tarrytown

Del Sol Quartet Plays Polish And Latin American Music At Symphony Space

Doo Wop Dreams

Elisha Abas Solo Piano At Baruch Performing Arts Center-2009

Folk Songstress Elizabeth Mitchell At Symphony Space

Hip-Nosis

Joshua Nelson And The Kosher Gospel Choir At Queensborough Performing Arts Center

Magical Nights At Feinstein's At The Loews Regency

Maxi Priest At B.B. King's

Metropolitan Opera Musicians Perform Alfano, Duke At Symphony Space

Monday Night Magic At 45 Bleecker St. Theatre

Natalie Toro At The Castle On The Hudson, Tarrytown

New Island Festival - Passport

Orpheus Chamber Orchestra With Janine Jansen

Popa Chubby's At B.B. King's

Principal Brass Quintet: Ny Philharmonic Musicians At Symphony Space

Rachel Barton Pine, Violin And Matthew Hagle, Piano At Symphony Space

Shemekia Copeland At B.B. Kings Blues Club

The Subdudes At B.B. King's

Tapestry Rewoven At B.B. King's

Tom Rush At B.B. King's

Turtle Island Quartet At Symphony Space

The Whispers At B.B. Kings

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,384 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

Also - ACTUALLY anyone can get TDF OFF OFF Broadway vouchers - sets of 4 for 9 dollars each. That's how I ended up seeing 6 Fringe Festival productions and OFF OFF Broadway is fun - theatres are usually under 100 seats.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
353 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

Thank you for all your comments. We have a lot to consider. We did think that the Marvelous Wonderettes would be light and fun particularly since some of us graduated at about the same time.

It sounds like South Pacific might be something we would like also. We'll have to see if the TDF Membership would be worthwhile for us.

10. Re: TDF Membership for Broadway Shows

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:18