We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

I am planning trip for the end of the year, and was wandering if anyone had used a Travelex cash Passport Debit Card in the US recently. I have been reading stuff on other forums and people have said negative things - like it won't work in shops etc eventhough is has the visa logo on it. This card seems to be a pretty good option because there is no conversion fee on the purchase (which most of the big banks do) However it will not be such a bargain if it can only be used in ATM machines and not at the point of sale (shops/restaurants etc) If anyone can help that would be great

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

The easiest way to manage your money in 2009 is to use ATM cards. The use of Credit cards usually will have not only interest applied but also a foreign use charge sometimes as much as 4%. Travelers checks are passe and not used very much in the US anymore.

With an ATM card on either the Cirus or Plus worldwide network you will be able to go into many banks and draw out your own money at the lowest exchange rate. The thing to ask your bank is the fees associated with their card as it is a competitive product... Here in NYC TD Bank has a 0% card but the bank across the street HSBC has a 4% charge... I am sure there are similar situations in OZ. Anyone who carries $5000 in cash to any country is asking for trouble. Whatever card you use just make sure you have researched it and know exactly what fees you incur with its use as there are many urban legends floating around... You do the research do not depend on anything you may read on a site like TA.

Mentioned in this post
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

My bank (Citibank) told me that if I use my ATM/debit card for cash withdrawals in Mexico I would pay 3% Foreign exchange charge. So you can bet my withdrawals will be very limited.

melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

Hi Gidgee - we are heading to NY in a couple of weeks and are looking at taking a Travelex card like the one you mention. Our bank (nab) told us you use it for cash at ATMs, it is not a credit card, so can't use it in shops..etc. You load it in US dollars at the rate the bank has on the day you set it up here at home. There is a set up fee 1% - and recharge fee (1%)(which is actually the conversion fee paid up front)...and then each time we use it at an ATM a $3US transaction fee is charged. We also have a debit/credit card (with nab) - which we can use at ATM's or at shops, restaurants etc. On this one we can expect to pay a 2.3% conversion fee each time it is used (which may be costly - but a credit card nonetheless)but there is no transaction fee.

I hope I haven't confused you....it took us hours to work this out last week when we looked into it. Now I am just waiting for a good exchange rate at the bank....which was way better than the rate offered by Travelex themselves. JD

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

Karen-- get an account with TD Bank they charge you 0%

on any withdrawals you are right about CitiBank and HSBC is 4%.

Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

jaffadog - travelex have a passport debit card now as well - there is no conversion fees if used in store. SO the rate you buy on the day and lock in at US is the amount you have - the debit card seems to only have a fee if you withdraw at ATM. I emailed them and asked them becasue it seemed to be too good to be true that there was no charge if used at shops rest etc. They said defintiley not. I guess you do get a lower rate on the day you buy - but it still seems less to me then what is available through my other 2 banks. ( St george 2.4% per transaation plus ATM withdrawl fees. ANZ credit card charges 7.95 per transaction - so obvioulsy this one won't be used :))

I was just worried that people had said that it couldn;t be used as a debit card in store - which is really no big deal will just get money out at ATM - but it is certainly more convenient to be able to use it for purchases.

melbourne
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

crikey !!!! has the ANZ gone mad..??? Looked up about the wizard card (as mentioned on another TA post I saw last night) - but we leave too soon - maybe you should look into it too.

Hope you have a great time when you go - we certainly can't wait !!!

sydney, australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

i used the cash passport last time i was in NYC about 2 years ago and i found it quite useful as i was traveling to a couple of other countries after that.

this time when i went into my bank (NAB) to purchase one the teller told me that it would be cheaper per transaction just to use my visa debit card.

if you don't have one of those the cash passport is a good option especially at the moment with the AUD being so strong compared to USD and it so convenient to use to withdraw cash and use your credit/debit card for purchases in shops restaurants ect.

hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,668 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

Friends of mine used the ANZ Debit card loaded with $US dollars locked into the rate on the day that they bought it. I think there was a charge of a couple of dollars per transaction but that was it.

They said that apart from one or two instances, they had no problems buying items and making a cash withdrawal at the same time for the one fee at department stores etc. The ANZ brochure for this product is the one with the Motel sign and Route 66 on the front - sorry I don't recall the exact name of the product but it does sound like the one you're talking about

Someone else I ran into recently said that there was no problem withdrawing funds from a DEBIT card in shops in the States, but withdrawing cash from a CDEDIT card wasn't widely accepted as it had been in the past...she said.

Westpac transaction charges are 3 % FOREX conversion for Mastercard and 3.5% for AMEX.

Hope this helps.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

I have found the Travelex card can only be used in ATMs for cash withdrawal, and not EFTPOS type transactions in shops.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
350 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie Travelex Cash Passport Debit card

For any Aussies with a Westpac card, Westpac have a reciprocal agreement with Bank of America( their autotellers are really easy to find in NY)-you don't pay a atm fee but you still pay the same conversion rate as if you had used Visa/ Mastercard etc. You just need to make sure that you have a linked card to your savings accounr that has Cirrus on it-my Visa that I normally use at Westpac tellers here for cash withdrawals doesn't work-I had to use my handycard instead. Your local branch will explain