We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
448 posts
"Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

From those who have visited NYC and taken a "Night Tour",which company did you go with ???

I'm finding negative reports on some(I know, as always).

Thanks for the advise !!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

We did the night tour that came with our all loops HOHO red bus. The tour was okay, but the tour guide was very annoying. We complained to each other while we were on the bus that we should have waited for the next one, (since the night tour you can't HOHO) but now that we are back we often laugh at her in remembering how personally she took the tour.

We also did a bikethebigappletour.com which ended after dark and that was pretty cool esp. since we rode over the Manhattan bridge and through chinatown in the dark.

have fun and happy hunting!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

I'm sorry but people who do all these tours over a short time in the city are missing the best part of the city which is to get lost and walk around until you see those big green Bulbs that indicate you have reached some subway stop any subway stop to take back to who knows where and to get lost again..

One tour maybe and then off on your own.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
448 posts
3. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

I agree completely !!

Walk and getting lost is a great way to see the city !!And believe me, we will be doing that for the rest of our visit !!

Thanks for the 2 replies !!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

At this time of year, I'd go with On Board Tours since it takes you over to Brooklyn's Fulton Ferry Landing for a stop there (Gray Line does not)

newyorkpartyshuttle.com/night-lights-tour-it…

During the December holiday season, you might also consider Marvelous Manhattan's "night lights" tour -- that's the only time of year they regularly schedule evening tours.

marvelousmanhattantours.com/new-york-city-to…

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

we bought the all loops HOHO gray line tour and took the night tour as it came as part of the package but it wasnt that great, i wouldnt buy it especially, the day tours are good if its your first time for orintating yourself in the city but as the previous posters say you cant beat walking and going where your feet take you.

Ontario,Canada
Level Contributor
448 posts
6. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

We're going to do the "Onboard Tour"...sounds good...and they have some stops too....don't just want to sit on a bus !!

Thanks for suggestions !!

Hernando...
Level Contributor
58 posts
161 reviews
7. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

My husband and I also did the HOHO night tour. Although we had a better experience with it than the other posters apparently did. I really enjoyed it. After a long day of walking and exploring the city, it was nice just to sit back, listen to history and information on the places we were passing, cross the Brooklyn Bridge and see the city lit up in all its beautiful evening lighting.

Oakville, Missouri
Level Contributor
367 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

We are planning to do a Harbor Lights Cruise on Circle Line. I believe that NY Waterways also has one but it is no longer operating mid-October when we are there. The cruise we plan to take starts at 6 so there will some soft light and then be totally dark before the two hour cruise ends.

9. Re: "Night Tours"..the best/ the worst

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 07:18