We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January hotel deals

Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
January hotel deals

Hi Guys, Just booked flight for Jan 14 th 2010. Just looking for advise on booking my hotel room. Should i wait until nearer the time?.

Some people have said i might get a really good hotel cheaper if i wait until Nov/Dec. Is this the case? Is it quieter at this time because Christmas is over and it will be freezing! Thanks so much!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,399 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January hotel deals

Have a look now on

kayak.com

quikbook.com

and see what's available that's cancelable. If you see something you could live with that can be changed, you might book it. Jan. is definitely a slow time and you will find sales closer to your trip. To see historical temps, go to one of the weather sites like

wunderground.com

and use their trip planner. Jan. is usually cold.

Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January hotel deals

I'll wait then, just very impatient that's all!

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
970 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: January hotel deals

I would book something that is cancelable now.Yes it is one of the cheapest months to come.Yes it will be freezing be prepared i came in Febuary this year and it was very cold got down to the teens at night.I have already booked something for Febuary 2010.

Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January hotel deals

being from California irisblue i would imagine early teens would be freezing for you! But in Scotland right now (summertime) our nights and mornings are early teens, so the cold does not phase me at all!! Enjoy NY.

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January hotel deals

careful not to get mixed up with farenheit and celsius ;-)

Even in Scotland I doubt it's in the early teens farenheit right now!

But NYC in Jan it can be in the low farenheit, aka - damn cold

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January hotel deals

and yes, that should be fahrenheit ;-) Why didn't they put in a short-term edit feature when they updated the forums, it's so old school here lol.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January hotel deals

Hi Linnyloo

Take a look at the historical weather for jan on one of the weather websites like wunderground,freezing cold is the norm much colder than our winter here at home.Following advice on this forum plenty of layers are required for this time of year.

We are booked for the end of January and have been picking up stuff in the sales at the outdoor/hiking shops so we are prepared.Have a great trip we cant wait

Scotland
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January hotel deals

Thanks for that! Been in November before and it was a wee bit on the cold side. But having a look at long goose down jackets ( Puffa ) The cold is not a problem, its the rain that spoils things. Have a great trip !

dublin
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: January hotel deals

Don't let the rain spoil it!

As Billy Connolly says there is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes!

10. Re: January hotel deals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 06:22