We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

8 posts
Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

We have Statue of Liberty Crown Access tickets for 9 am Sunday, December 23rd. We are staying at Lotte Palace in Midtown. We’ll take the subway from 51st station (4,5,6 train still figuring out which ones) to Bowling Green. We were told to get to Battery by at least 8:30 am. Does anyone know estimate of how long it would take for the train ride? Just determining what time we need to leave hotel. Any good guess is appreciated. Thanks to the NYC Forum for all the great help in planning our trip! I’ve incorporated a lot in our trip already.

6 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

It will not take you 45 minutes, but that's the minimum amount of time I would leave. Since you may get a little confused, if you leave an hour, you'll just be early.

You get on the 6 at 51st. You get off at the very next stop, Grand Central Station/42nd St. On the same platform, but not on the same track (that is, as you get out of the subway car and look straight, that's another track), you will get on the next train that comes (going in the same direction). That will be either a 4 or 5, you can get on either. It's 5 stops but there's about 4 minutes between the first two stops, then they are shorter stops). Get off at Bowling Green.

When you get out, you may have to look around to get your bearings, but when you see trees, that's battery park (across the big street), head through it towards the water and you will probably see lines for the ferry. If none of that makes sense, just ask someone and they'll point you in the right direction.

Edited: 21 November 2018, 01:03
8 posts
2. Re: Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

Wow! That answers everything I wanted to know. Thanks so much!

We’re buying the Metro Unlimited 7 Day Pass (for our 5 day stay) and I’m bound and determined to prove they’ll pay off. I already figured out how to get from LaGuardia to 5th Ave/53 St. (quick walk to the Lotte Palace) and that alone pays for them. We have 5 people and two rooms so we’d probably have had to take two cabs anyway. We’re spending a bundle overall, but I like saving where we can. For us out of towners the subway is kind of fun anyway.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

If you were Rockefeller, the subway is still the best way to get down there. There are many places it's worth spending money, and definitely times that a cab is preferable. This isn't one of them. The only thing is that at that time, the subway will be VERY crowded. Since you are a group, you may get separated, make a plan for where you will meet if you get separated. I would suggest you meet at the front of the Museum of the American Museum at Bowling Green if you get separated. Or you can just assume that you will all find your way to the Ferry at meet in line there. Either way, have a plan. Last Saturday night, a woman approached my friend on the subway, she got separated from her husband and friends after leaving a bar where they were watching football and drinking. And of course lost her phone. She had my friend text her husband to re-connect....you don't want to not have a plan.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,376 posts
4. Re: Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

Remember to pick up your Crown tickets you need the credit card used for the reservation and adults need ID matching the reservations https:/…purchasing-crown-tickets

The pick up spot is in Castle Clinton - an old round brick building adjacent to the dock

8 posts
5. Re: Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

Got it. Good information from both of you. We’re going 12/21 to 12/26 and can’t wait! Even going to find a small “Charlie Brown” Christmas Tree for the hotel room.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)

Sorry, brain freeze: The Museum of the American Indian is what I meant to write.

Reply to: Estimate Time For Subway Trip: Midtown To The Battery (SOL)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted