We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

South Florida
4 posts
1 review
Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

I need a little help figuring out the best way for this transfer. We are arriving to our Hotel near the public library at Bryant Park. We were planning to take the airtrain to the E and then transfer to take the F. (we also thought about riding the E all the way to 42nd and catch a bus there)

We will have a few bags and kids along so I'm trying to figure the simplest transfers. All help is appreciated! Thanks

17 replies to this topic
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
21,465 posts
1. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

There are multiple options for same platform transfers between the E and F (Briarwood, Kew Gardens, 75th, 71st, Jackson Heights)

Subway map http://web.mta.info/maps/submap.html

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,285 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

Kew Gardens is the best transfer because the inbound trains are the least crowded at that point and you're most likely to get a seat. It's a same platform transfer.

The E doesn't always stop at Briarwood and also that station is slightly creepy.

Edited: 20 November 2018, 14:42
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
41,674 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

Definitely Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike (full name of station) That is the station closed to my home and I use it all the time. Sometimes the two trains are on the same track and sometimes you cross the platform. I've yet to figure out when and why!

BUT, I do agree--best way to get a seat. Stay away from the dead center of the train--the first few or last few cars are always less crowded.

If you share the name of the hotel, we can tell you if the front or the back of the train is better.

Edited: 20 November 2018, 15:57
South Florida
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

Thanks all for the help! We are staying at the Courtyard on 5th ave

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,828 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

What I would do is take the E to 7th Avenue/53rd St, and wait there for the D or B train on the same platform. That's even easier. It goes to 42nd St also.

Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
25,082 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

I would do exactly what #5 suggests, no reason to change in Queens when you are comfortably seated on the E train.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,828 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

Note that at 7th Avenue, the B and D are across the platform (20 feet away) and go in what looks like the opposite direction, but -- trust me -- the B an D are both headed down 6th Avenue to 42nd St.

South Florida
4 posts
1 review
8. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

Thank you!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20,040 posts
9. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

How much luggage and how many kids/what ages? Are the kids old enough to deal with their luggage and follow your instructions on the train? Or are they young enough that you need to hold on to them so they don't get lost on the train or are unable to hold onto the poles by themselves?

This sounds like transfers between trains will be quite complicated.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
9,285 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F

The transfer is super not complicated. You get on the E, get off at Kew Gardens, stand there without moving, and get on the next F that arrives. It is the least complicated transfer possible

Reply to: Easiest station to transfer from E to the F
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted