We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Hi

We will be staying in Brooklyn, near Williamsburg. We are looking for a low-key but good Italian restaurant for dinner one evening. Moderately priced, maybe $20 entrees. Would appreciate any recommendations, especially for a good neighborhood restaurant! Thank you.

16 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Lilia is the Italian restaurant of the moment in Williamsburg, but it’s pretty much impossible to get a table there unless you hover over their website at midnight 30 days out. Misi, by the same owner, specializes in pasta and I’m guessing is also a tough table. (I haven’t tried yet.)

If you’re close to the G train, you could head to Locanda Vini e Olii in Clinton Hill - a cozy gem of a place where pastas are easily in the $20 range, other dishes a bit higher, but not outrageous.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Thanks, Linda. I appreciate the recco for Lilia, we are also fine with just a good neighborhood Italian restaurant.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Yeah, I felt duty-bound to mention Lilia. The problem with “neighborhood Italian” in Williamsburg is that the neighborhood has become so gentrified, I’m not sure how many low-key, Italian-American places remain. (I’m by no means a Willismsburg expert, though.) That’s why I mentioned Locanda Vini e Olii in Clinton Hill. It’s more of a neighborhood spot, or maybe a neighborhood date-night spot (serving Tuscan food).

Are you looking for classic Italian-American, or more regional Italian?

Edited: 18 November 2018, 23:40
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Ah ok. Either one is fine.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,467 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

I haven’t been in a while but take a look at Aurora

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,460 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

This place in Park Slope was recommended to us on our last visit three years ago and judging by the reviews it is still popular - www.aldilatrattoria.com/

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Thank you adamhornets

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Thank you ziggy60. Aurora looks good.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,590 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

Al di la is a personal favorite; just know that they don’t take reservations, and the wait can be long if you don’t get there very early. It’s definitely my favorite of the Park Slope Italian places, of which there are a lot.

If you’re willing to travel to Park Slope & environs, Table 87 is a more-than-decent neighborhood spot. Frankies 457 in Carroll Gardens is excellent.

Monte’s in Gowanus for old school Brooklyn ambience (it claims to be the oldest Italian restaurant in Brooklyn).

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
20,652 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn

**Monte’s in Gowanus for old school Brooklyn ambience (it claims to be the oldest Italian restaurant in Brooklyn).**

^

I was not a fan of Monte's but I haven't been since they re-opened.

I love Sam's on Court Street. You also have Queen on Court which is right near Borough Hall.

Sam's is cash only(ATM outside) and really old school. Old school table cloths and the owner Louie is a character. They make some of the best brick oven pizza in NYC. The Italian dishes are also good.

Queen is a big draw for the municipal workers and neighborhood residents in Bklyn Heights/Borough Hall area.

Reply to: Good Italian restaurant in Brooklyn
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted