We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleepy hollow

Alstonville...
Level Contributor
116 posts
17 reviews
Sleepy hollow

Hey all,

My friend and I are hoping to visit sleepy hollow on our trip over here. We do like paranormal and the history of these types of places. Is it worth visiting for half a day to a full day?

11 replies to this topic
Flushing, New York
Level Contributor
7,611 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Sleepy hollow

Sleepy Hollow formerly, North Tarrytown, does have some historic places to visit such as Philipsburg Manor, but this area would tend to fall into "car country" and getting around might be otherwise difficult. There are Metro North stations. Washington Irving's home, Sunnyside, is in Irvington to the south. Kykuit, a Rockefeller estate famed from its modern art, is also in the area. Otherwise, it is a suburban village that is not spooky in the least. Check out Google Streetview for the details.

Edited: 17 November 2018, 15:04
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
19,488 posts
2. Re: Sleepy hollow

You don;t say when you are coming but do understand that in the off seasons (colder half of the year) many of these places may be closed or open only on limited days of the week/hours.

Caveat: these are very popular around Halloween - but some not easily accessible without renting a car since the are NOT in NYC but in a suburb an hour or more north of the city.

Level Contributor
903 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Sleepy hollow

You can take a MetroNorth train to Sleepy Hollow from Grand Central Station, but the answer to your question is NO, the trip is not worth a half day.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
250 reviews
4. Re: Sleepy hollow

Washington irving used the area as the setting for his story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," but nothing paranormal in real life happened there to explore.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Sleepy hollow

Since you like paranormal, while researching my next trip, I found the Ghost Church (St. Mark's Church in Bowery) which may interest you

Alstonville...
Level Contributor
116 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Sleepy hollow

Thanks everyone. Will rethink that one.

The ghost church sounds interesting. Will add it to my research list

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Sleepy hollow

If you’re coming just before Halloween, I think it is worth a day trip. It wouldn’t be heavily into the paranormal, but it’s charming and interesting, and you’ll see more late October autumn color there than in NYC.

As long as you’re a good walker, this is a trip you can easily do by taking a MetroNorth train from Grand Central to Tarrytown station. Walk up Main Street, take a left onto Broadway, and then walk up Broadway...

Tarrytown along that stretch of Main Street and Broadway is full of shops and restaurants. Then Broadway crosses from Tarrytown into Sleepy Hollow. First you’ll pass Philipsburg Manor and then you’ll come to the Old Dutch Church.

The Old Dutch Church is the oldest operating church in the US. The cemetery around it is huge and Washington Irving is buried there. On the weekends leading up to Halloween they have a sort of Octoberfest in the chrurchyard and you can have a beer among the graves. ;-)

From the church you can retrace your route back to the Tarrytown station.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,420 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Sleepy hollow

I enjoyed exploring Sleepy Hollow. I took the Metro North train. If you are a history and literature person it’s an interesting couple of hours. The train itself is part of the day, coming from a car culture.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
396 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: Sleepy hollow

I'd recommend it, even if it isn't all that creepy as some have noted.

I took the Metro North to visit the area two years ago. I rented a car in North Tarrytown. The rental agency came and picked me up at the train station and I took the representative back to the rental car place and had the car for the remainder of the day. After dropping the car off in the evening, the agent took me back to the station and I headed back to the city. Very easy.

As a literature major it was something I always wanted to see. I visited Irving's grave site, the Dutch church, the bridge of the headless horseman and then drove to Sunnyside Manor as well. Alas the latter was closed to visitors that day.

Still and all it was a great day, and a beautiful train trip up the Hudson River. That added to the experience as I had never been up into the Hudson River Valley. And it really is beautiful. I was back in time for an evening musical.

Edited: 19 November 2018, 18:13
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
396 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: Sleepy hollow

I'd recommend it, even if it isn't all that creepy as some have noted.

I took the Metro North to visit the area two years ago. I rented a car in North Tarrytown. The rental agency came and picked me up at the train station and I took the representative back to the rental car place and had the car for the remainder of the day. After dropping the car off in the evening, the agent took me back to the station and I headed back to the city. Very easy.

As a literature major it was something I always wanted to see. I visited Irving's grave site, the Dutch church, the bridge of the headless horseman and then drove to Sunnyside Manor as well. Alas the latter was closed to visitors that day.

Still and all it was a great day, and a beautiful train trip up the Hudson River. That added to the experience as I had never been up into the Hudson River Valley. And it really is beautiful.

Reply to: Sleepy hollow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted