We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive into the city or park outside?

LindseyG696
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Drive into the city or park outside?

My husband and I are coming from SC to NYC for Thanksgiving week (Tuesday-Saturday) to see the parade. We need to bring our two dogs with us and flying with them is not an option so we’re planning to drive. We’re staying at the Residence Inn on Avenue of the Americas (6th). We are not looking forward to driving in Manhattan so my question is are there realistic options for parking outside of the city and taking alternate transportation? I want our car to be safe plus we would have two dogs and luggage. I’ve been to the city MANY times so I’m very comfortable with public transportation but not with dogs and luggage. If we drive we would get there late at night and leave super early to avoid heavy traffic. Should we just drive? Thanks!!!

20 replies to this topic
USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

I would just drive and park at or very close to the hotel. Thanksgiving week means a lot of traffic, so if you get in late as you mentioned, that would be better. Leaving early on Saturday should be fine as most people start getting on the road on Sunday.

Port Imperial in Weehawken is a great option for parking, but with two dogs and luggage, I'd skip that option.

LindseyG696
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

Thanks!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
3. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

Have you sorted out what to o with the dogs during the day. I believe the hotels want you there with them and they are not allowed in stores, museums, restaurants, etc. Have you checked out doggy day care for when you will be out and sight seeing?

LindseyG696
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

We travel with our dogs all the time. That won’t be an issue. But thanks for the feedback!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
765 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

Park at the hotel. Driving in Manhattan is easy.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

Re the ferry, as long as you aren't arriving in the middle of the rush I don't see why dogs and luggage would be a problem. I'd just call them to make sure they are OK with dogs both on the Ferry and the shuttle bus (they have free shuttles which I think will get you right to your hotel). I think parking will be cheaper too

nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal…

7. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 August 2018, 15:24

LindseyG696
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

Thanks for the help and advice on parking everyone!! I think we’ll be ok just driving.

I don’t appreciate the condescending lectures on my dogs as much, especially considering that’s not what I asked about but that’s fine. I am well aware of what my dogs will need while we travel and that they will not be allowed on public transportation and cannot just randomly roam the hotel hallways. I have been to NYC about thirty times. I’m not a country bumpkin comin to the big ole city with my Dobermans. I promise we will be fine. But I appreciate your insulting concern.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

I apologize. I must not have been thinking when I wrote it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Drive into the city or park outside?

Actually, the MTA rule is that non-service dogs can ride the subway as long as they are in a carrier/bag. This has lead to some uh, creative solutions: https:/…

I have K9 backpack for mine so that he can ride the subway with me to Central Park. Have also taken him on the East River Ferry. But he's fairly small.

Reply to: Drive into the city or park outside?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted