We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit-where to stay?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
922 posts
22 reviews
First visit-where to stay?

Please can someone help me? We are visiting in April for the first time. We don't really know which area to base ourselves. We want a safe, central area that is within easy reach of the usual tourist attractions (not interested in museums but all the usual tourist sites). Once we have decided which area to stay in we can start searching for a hotel.

21 replies to this topic
United States
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
11,744 posts
247 reviews
1. Re: First visit-where to stay?

First when I look for a hotel, I make sure a subway is close by. And, in regards to being centrally located, everything is so spread out. We write down where we want to go, arrange things that are together in the same area and plan that way, so you aren’t rushing around and back-tracking wasting a lot of time. You can get to places by subway, bus, taxi, Uber etc.....

Many first timers like to stay right in Times Square but that can be spendy. Plus, it’s not an easy place to relax, lol. They get wise real fast and branch out to other quieter neighborhoods. So what you have to do is decide where you’d like your base to be and make sure it’s next or close to a subway and most everything else will fall into place.

USA
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
16,130 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: First visit-where to stay?

Attractions are spread out, so the key is to be near a subway station.

With that said, Manhattan would be my recommendation for a first visit, but it all depends on your budget,

If you provide your exact dates, budget in USD, and number of people/beds, then the hotel experts can chime in with options, etc.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
115 reviews
3. Re: First visit-where to stay?

^+1. Because hotel prices can jump dramatically from day to day here, where to stay may be dependent upon budget. If you list your # of people, dates, bedding arrangements, and maximum budget per night (+ 15% hotel taxes, and it helps a lot if you list in U.S.$) we can best help.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
922 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: First visit-where to stay?

Thanks. We will have a look in Manhattan for places near subways. We had about 400 hotels to chose from in areas we had never heard of so had to narrow the choice down somehow. Thank you helping.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: First visit-where to stay?

Almost (and in truth, it's EVERY) hotel in Manhattan is near a subway station. I'd narrow it down to below 86th St, and even that doesn't cut out too many. It's like hotels in central London; they are all near the Tube; you have to work hard to not be near one.

And everything, being near the subway, is easy to get everywhere else; if you want to be near more famous tourist places choose west of 3rd Avenue, east of 9th Avenue, and between 30th and 59th Streets.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,583 posts
6. Re: First visit-where to stay?

Can you tell us who/how many you are? If a family with kids the recos would be very different from couples in their 20s or a pair of seniors - in terms of neighborhoods.

Sights are spread out all over the city and islands in the harbor - so it depends largely on your budget and if you are looking for trendy or quiet or residential or super busy or near certain sights (which ones).

Every hotel in Manhattan will be near at lest one subway station (there are more than 450 stations in NYC) but depending on circumstances you may end up looking outside Manhattan or only in 1 or 2 neighborhoods.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
115 reviews
7. Re: First visit-where to stay?

I can understand if you think we're not helping, because we haven't named areas. Manhattan is so expensive to stay in, and prices therein fluctuate sometimes so drastically from day to day, that Budget, not area, is usually the deciding factor of where people end up staying. If you're independently wealthy and budget doesn't matter, we can list a few luxury properties for you. But if you're a typical visitor, you probably have a budget for your hotel -- $200/night, $300/night, $400/night. If you tell us how many people are in your party, what kind of bedding configuration you need, what your exact dates are, and what your budget is, we'll be in the best position to help.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: First visit-where to stay?

Best area to stay is probably around Union Square - it is pretty much the central hub of all of Manhattan (and the other boroughs for that matter) and its lively, safe and not overcrowded like Times Square.

Definitely try to stay in union square.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
922 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: First visit-where to stay?

No I don't think you're not helping at all. I really appreciate the help. There will be 4 adults. Me, my husband, my son and his girlfriend so we need 2 rooms. Our budget is around $200 per room per night (including resort fee if applicable but not tax). We want to stay 3 or 4 nights (dependant on son's girlfriend's finances). As for the hotel we really want good location (although I clearly have no clue what that is), clean, with free WiFi. Thank you in advance! Oh yes, staying sometime between 14th and 27th April.

Edited: 20 August 2018, 09:44
New York, New York
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
115 reviews
10. Re: First visit-where to stay?

Unless you prepay, you may not be able to keep it under $200/night before tax.

I'm looking on Trivago (all prices are before tax)

Found these for April 14-18th:

Hotel Newton (close to Central Park, Columbia University, and excellent for transport) is coming in at $159/night, using www.booking.com. (That's a really good price.)

Fairfield Inn & Suites in Long Island City, Queens is coming in at $1084 for four nights.

For April 19th-23rd:

Candlewood Suites on West 39th, short walk to Times Square, = $682 before tax for the four nights, special sale, partially refundable. Fully refundable = $976.

Hilton Garden Inn Central Park South, W. 54th St. between Broadway and 8th Ave., $1112 for the four nights.

I pulled these up just as an example for you.

Reply to: First visit-where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted