We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is San Diego safe?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Topic
Is San Diego safe?

This might seem like an odd question, but I read that there had been a shooting in San Diego today, and someone was killed, it was near the Coronado bridge from what I can make out, and police were searching coronado island for another person. I also read about someone being shot dead at a hold up at a store.

We are planning on visiting San Diego next Summer, from the UK, and this is worrying me a bit I must admit. I know that crime happens everywhere but would still like the input of anyone who lives in San Diego - is the city safe to walk around, we are non-drivers so would be using buses/trains/taxis as and when needed, staying on Coronado Island.

Hope you can help make me feel more positive about our trip next year, as we really do want to visit the city, it looks beautiful and very interesting. I just need to know for sure that my family will be safe using the public transport/walking around.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is San Diego safe?

Incidents like that are extremely rare in the areas of San Diego where tourists usually go. I think you can feel safe at any of the places you are likely to visit. San Diego is a big city (8th largest city in the U.S.) and San Diego County has over 3 million residents now. So with any large population there is some crime. However crimes related to tourists and tourism are rare and you should feel safe when visiting San Diego. The real crimes are the prices charged for hotel rooms, parking, restaurants and theme parks. At least the beaches are free.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is San Diego safe?

Thanks so much for your reply, it has definitely helped. :D We've been to New York and felt very safe there, so I'm sure we will be fine in San Diego, I was just have a little wobble! ;) :D

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is San Diego safe?

One of the places you talked about is Barrio Logan; which does have some gang activity. You may notice that we try to steer tourist away from National City, for about the same reason.

Coronado, Gaslamp, and all the beach towns (except Imperial Beach) are quite safe. Just use common sense for the most part and you will be fine.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is San Diego safe?

Its a big city. Crime happens there just like in any other big city (or, for that matter, small town). That said, every time I've gone down there (and I admit I've mostly stuck to downtown and the touristy areas) I've felt perfectly safe, even walking around at night. Just use your street smarts, be aware of your surroundings and if an area doesn't look to savory, turn around and walk the other direction.

If it will make you feel better, there are tons of positive trip reports from tourists on this forum, and I can't recall ever reading one where someone had reported being the victim of a crime, or even ever feeling unsafe.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,834 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is San Diego safe?

This is a few years old but you have to scroll past 129 other US metropolitan areas before you get to San Diego.

In the 1+ year I have lived here Ive noticed the trend about violent crimes is that

1. Most are not random (which is true everywhere)

3. Anywhere a tourist will be is very very safe.

3.San Diego is a very safe place even though like everyother city crime happens.

I bet their was a murder in the UK today or recently as well.

http://www.crimetrends.com/id4.html

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is San Diego safe?

I used to wonder how 1 story on the news could get visitors worried about their safety. THEN one of my English students from Finland explained that crimes like this are not shown on tv in many countries soooo I finally understood how such news programs would be frightening.

You will have a wonderful time visiting San Diego!

Anywhere in the world there can be people who don't follow laws. We fell very lucky to live in this city!!

I think after you visit you will understand why.

Scottsdale
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is San Diego safe?

I have been lucky enough to see many areas of this great country, some great some not so good. I have also been to San Diego about 1/2 dozen times in the last 2 years. I feel as safe or safer there than anywhere I have travelled to. Like others have said, it was murder. Awful news for sure, but guess what - it happens everywhere. I bet it has happened within 50 miles of your house fairly recently. Tourists are as safe (likely safer) in San Diego as they are anywhere. Stay in the areas you are supposed to stay in and you will have a great time. Go out looking for illicit behavior like drugs, prostitutes, etc. and you will certainly find trouble though. Violence and other crimes follow each other around, no questions about it. 1 news story, that likely involves a character leading a life on the wrong side of the law - should not give anyone second thoughts. If this would exclude San Diego from your travel plans, I wonder where it is you would "feel safe" travelling to? Any city, anywhere in the world, would need to be taken off your list.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is San Diego safe?

Thanks everyone for your replies, I feel a lot better now, and we will definitely be visiting San Diego next Summer. :D I do realise that things like this can happen anywhere, but as San Diego isn't familiar to me, I just wanted to hear what locals and people who've visited San Diego had to say, just for peace of mind, if you understand. Like I say, we've been to New York and felt very safe there, and I'm sure we'll feel just as safe in San Diego. Appreciate all your input. :D

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is San Diego safe?

Lol.

Virginia
Level Contributor
348 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is San Diego safe?

If you felt safe in NY, you will definitely be fine in San Diego. I don't know if it's justified, but I feel about 100 times safer in San Diego than in NY (and not that I feel horribly unsafe in NY or anything, but I am more on-guard).