We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must eat, hopefully at one place

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
147 posts
54 reviews
Must eat, hopefully at one place

I am looking for a cafe, bistro, restaurant with table service that serves the Best:

LOBSTER (CRACKED)

BOSTON BAKED BEANS (extra points for brown bread)

BLUEBERRY PIE (Maine blueberries)

Any & all ideas welcome,

Betz

Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,106 Reviews
from US$44.05*
Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
683 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
601 Reviews
from US$55.65*
Boston...
Level Contributor
2,601 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Durgin Park in Quincy Market? They will have lobster and baked beans, but not certain about blueberry pie. That's more of a Maine thing. On their dessert menu they mention "Seasonal pies" and they have apple pie, but no guarantee on the blueberry pie.

arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park/#landing-page

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
147 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Is Quincy Market IN Faneuil Hall?

Disabled access? Which Street is closest to restaurant? Currently in Ellsworth ME, so i'll get pie here

Thanks, again.

Betz

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,798 posts
1 review
3. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Quincy Market is located behind Faneuil Hall, which is on Congress Street. The closest street to Durgin Park is Clinton Street. Durgin Park is upstairs but I don't know about disabled access. Perhaps you can call them and ask.

Edited: 18 October 2016, 10:49
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
1 review
4. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Sorry but:

-Anyone who can boil water can cook a lobster so where you go doesn't really matter, food wise, so perhaps if you said something about the atmosphere you're looking for. Not that tourist traps are necessarily bad but just so you know it's not like Boston Baked Beans are a food 'thing' around here in restaurants.

-I'd be surprised if any place that wasn't a tourist trap had Boston Baked Beans and even more surprised if they were't straight from a can.

-Don't recall ever seeing blueberry pie on a menu in Boston.

Edited: 18 October 2016, 13:29
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Glad you are getting your pie in Maine. It's better there and blueberry season is over. Ideally, you will find a pie made from wild Maine berries... they're the best. But it may be tricky at this point in the season. The berries will most certainly be frozen.

Any decent restaurant will sell you a good lobster. Legal Seafoods is very very reliable, and there are multiple locations.

Baked beans are a traditional meal from Colonial times when slave traders brought molasses to Boston on a triangular route. Nobody really makes them, and I do not see them on menus. It's really surprising that this food has managed to hang on as a supposed Boston staple for so many decades when it is no longer consumed.

I would like to suggest you instead indulge in a Boston Cream Pie at the Parker House. That's a treat that you will most certainly enjoy, and the hotel is loaded with Boston history.

Edit -- every restaurant will bust up your lobster for you... although I would recommend you accept the challenge of dismembering the creature yourself!

Edited: 18 October 2016, 14:16
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Just so you know, Boston Baked Beans are not really a "thing" in these parts any longer. Outside of Durgin Park, I don't know where you would find a restaurant serving them.

As mentioned, blueberry pie isn't a particularly Boston thing either, although it's a lot more commonly served. If you want a place that serves both, actually I'd suggest you go to the NoName restaurant on the Fish Pier in South Boston. They have the lobster you want and they also have really good pies, including blueberry, which I've had there many times and it's quite good. There's even a picture of it on their web site

www.nonamerestaurant.com/boston-seafood-menu/

If you like fish chowder too, they have what I consider to be the best version in Boston. It's FISH chowder, not CLAM chowder and it's not really thiickened, just white fish with some cream and butter in the broth. Very tasty.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,798 posts
1 review
7. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Two places still actually make baked beans (or at least they have in the recent past): The Parker House and Durgin Park.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
265 reviews
8. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

Funny that TA links Durgin Park references to the Airport location!

Here's their website: http://arkrestaurants.com/durgin_park/

Although everyone still calls it the 'Quincy Market', I guess the official name is now Faneuil Hall Marketplace: http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/

I'm pretty sure that each building has elevator access per ADA requirements, but I'd advise calling Durgin Park to verify.

Arguably, Maine lobster is better than Massachusetts lobster - and Nova Scotia lobster is even better (the colder the water, the better, I think). If you're in Ellsworth, get lobster there. Durgin Park is known for its steak, and they still do make their own baked beans.

9. Re: Must eat, hopefully at one place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2017, 06:15