We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Topic
Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

Hi to all,

We are staying in Boston 8 nights, NYC 12 nights and Washington 8 nights.

Do we tip the H'Keeping staff daily or at the end of our stay?

If it is daily how to we make it obvious? We do not like to leave money lying around .

If it is at the end of our stay( 8 or more nights) - do we leave a little thankyou note too?

Will appreciate suggestions of appropriate $ figure.

If a longer stay do we leave a larger tip?

Assuming there will be a roster change during stay- is it fair that the "last one standing" gets a lion's share of the tip?

thanks in anticipation

Von on Tour

Winchester...
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

I will very occasionally (rarely) leave a tip at the end of my stay in a hotel room, more often in more recent times as I realize the economy is bad and people really need the money.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

You should leave something daily, because of the reason you mentioned, the staff changes. I usually leave $2 - $3 per day if I am alone, more if I am sharing the room. I put it on the nightstand with a note that says "Housekeeping, thank you"

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

I tip $3 to $5 per day and tip daily. The staff rotates, so tipping only at the end does not acknowledge those who helped during the week. I usually place it near the pillows on the bed with a note or envelope saying "thank you."

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

Thank you all for that

ciao

Von on Tour

Winchester...
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

Until the advent of the internet and travel sites like TA, I did not know that people often tip housekeeping. I don't really know how common a practice it is in the United States, and if it is, when it started.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

I agree, tip daily as your tip may not go to the person who did the lions share of your cleaning if you leave it to the end of your stay. I only tip $2 per day. There are two of us in the room and we aren't very messy, so I feel this is sufficient. I just leave mine on the bed, I don't bother leaving a note unless I need something specific. I wouldn't bother leaving more at the end of a longer stay. Can't see the need.

Sounds like a fab trip by the way!

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

thomas144: In her youth, my mother worked as a chambermaid. Tipping the housekeeping staff was probably drilled into me at birth. :-)

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,062 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

I thought it was a common practice here. I remember my parents tipping the housekeeping in hotels back in the early 70s. Nowadays, I usually tip about $2 each day if it is a long stay (week or more) by putting it on a table or desk with a note that says "Thank you." If it is a 1 - 3 night stay, I usually tip at the end of the stay, $2 - $5 total. Some hotels have special envelopes to put the tip in.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

Growing up in the 50s and 60s we rarely stayed in hotels (big family), going camping instead. If my parents left tips for the chambermaid on those rare stays in a hotel, I never noticed it. :-) I've never left a daily tip for housekeeping in my life - never even heard of this before.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Housekeeping staff - how do I leave a tip? protocol?

I worked as a chambermaid at a hotel in South Yarmouth back in my college days in the 70's. I think I was left a tip maybe twice the whole summer (maybe it was your parents, BooKat!) so now I always tip the housekeeping staff..usually $3 each day.