We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable hotel Tourist locations

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable hotel Tourist locations

We have come for business, staying in Burlington. Would like to go into Boston for weekend. Looking for clean beds, baths & safe in tourist location. Only need for Saturday June 4th. 2 adults & 2 teens= at least 2 queen beds pull out couch would be bonus. Thinking of taking Old Town Trolley Tour any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

What do you consider affordable?

On short notice like this, I'd usually suggest Priceline or Hotwire bidding, but they only guarantee two to a room that way.

Send a private message to Will007, maybe he can help you out.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

Thanks for quick response, affordable would be based on location. Not sure what to hope for. Preferrably under $200. I'm a novice TA user so please forgive me how do I send a private message ?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k444172…

are you in Burlington already? If so, are you driving?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

Hi,

http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/Will007

and click the "send message" link on the left. He may also post here shortly, he monitors the forum frequently.

One room for under $200 that sleeps 5 is going to be extremely difficult, I'm sorry to say. You should check the suggestions on the link you were given above, but I think all of those are going to be over $200.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

I guess where I was going was, if you are in a hotel that you like, whey not stay there and drive into Boston. Parking on a sat is cheap enough and the commute will be light.

In the meantime, you could try the MIdtown Hotel which may have a package that includes the trolley and parking. Parking is cheap enough at this hotel.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

I forgot to mention earlier...Why not try bidding on Priceline? You can bid for two rooms at $100 each and you very well may win. Then your problem is solved.

Liberty also has a good point. If your rooms in Burlington are OK, just stay there and drive or take the T into Boston. It's only a 20-30 minute drive or maybe 45 minutes if you take the T. Do you have a car with you? If so, you can drive to Alewife and park there and take the Red Line into Boston. Or, your hotel very well may have a shuttle to Alewife, or to the nearest Commuter Rail station. It might just be the easiest suggestion.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

Okay I have message will007 and no rooms available at midtown. So I am thinking we will go ahead and drive into town early Saturday, park at Boston Commons and put on our walking shoes. Any feedback on Old Town Trolley? Any suggests for evening outings near Burlington? We have done the mall and will catch a movie but anything historical open in the evenings?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,439 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

Unlike priceline, on hotwire you CAN list the number of people in your group and if you put in 4 you'll get 2 double beds (can't guarantee queen).

I checked last minute travel and anything conveniently located is "on request". So, that means "not available".

The Radisson has 2 queen beds. Try calling them direclty.

To be honest, there doesn't seem to be a lot around. There's a convention in town that they claim is expecting 9400 people, and MIT is gradutating today so perhaps people are hanging around for the weekend, but what little I've found is very expensive.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

For evening activities/dinner, I hope you mean on the days you're not driving into town? The drive back to Burlington at night is not that bad. Maybe half an hour. On your Boston days, there is no need to go back before dinner and limit yourself to the lack of choices in Burlington.

If you meant evening activities on your Burlington days, drive down to Concord and go to the Minute Man park. The Old North Bridge is where the "shot heard round the world" was fired.

I think the Old Town is the best of the trolley tours. But if you have a "dud" driver (which can happen at any of the tours), simply get off and wait for the next trolley and the next driver will probably be better.

P.S. it is the Boston Common (singular).

Edited: 03 June 2011, 17:57
North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable hotel Tourist locations

"Any suggests for evening outings near Burlington? We have done the mall and will catch a movie but anything historical open in the evenings?"

From Burlington, Concord and Lexington are a short drive. The National Park Service Visitors Centers and other buildings all close at 5, but the grounds are open til sunset (and the days are currently long!). A drive to Concord to take in some of the battlegrounds and a walk around Concord center, which is lovely, could be followed by dinner at the Colonial Inn.

http://www.nps.gov/mima/index.htm

http://www.concordscolonialinn.com/

You could do something similar in Lexington on another evening. Hope you'll enjoy your visit!

Edit: Sorry, Rantipole. I was typing while you were posting. 2 votes for Concord!

Edited: 03 June 2011, 18:06