We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

There are so many to choose from. I think we've narrowed it down to Panza or Bricco. Has anyone eaten at both or either for that matter?

Boston
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

I am not familar with panza. When are you going to Bricco? One of the owners has been in the restaurant business forever. It is always crowded and veal seems to be their speciality dish.

I have been there once and wasn't overly impressed and especially for the prices charged.

Last time by there, one side was boarded up, that was a few weeks ago, so I am sure it is fixed by now, but you may want to check.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

I don't mind the food at Bricco, but only when I'm not paying for it. I'd never go their on my own; I think it's overpriced.

How did you settle on a choice between Bricco and Panza? Pretty different price points.

Most of my favorite Italian places are not in the North End (a neighborhood where it's all too easy to stumble into a mediocre meal) but I do like Prezza very much.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 20:26
Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

would you have a recommendation. My brother is coming into town. He remembers Joe Tecce's from the old days and wanted to eat there. But I think Joe Tecce's has seen better times. Now I'm stumped. Thanks.

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

Though my moniker says Sacramento, I'm a Mass. native and lived also in NoProvidence. I've taken my Californian spouse to many places in the North End. There are many great ones, lots of good ones. I liked Giacamos, Prezza, Piccolo Venezia...and then any place to stroll around and get dessert.

I don't think Bostonians realize just how great their Italian food choices are. I truly beleive that Boston may only be second to NYC for great Italian fare. (perhaps Baltimore gets a nod)

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
15,918 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

Many people think that Mama Maria's is the best upscale Italian place and many on the board like the more moderate LaSumma.

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

For Italian, I like Coppa, Prezza, Via Matta, Grotto, Trattoria Toscana, the Daily Catch, L'Osteria....it really depends what kind of food/ambience you're going for.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

If your brother is interested in Joe Tecce's then I don't think you should choose one of the more creative, higher-end places like Prezza or Mamma Maria, etc. You probably want something old school, red sauce like La Summa or Cantina Italiana or dozens of other similar places.

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

That's exactly what I'm looking for - something less creative and more traditional but still very good Italian. With so many choices it's impossible to know which is better. Are the two you mentioned especially good?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

Al Dente would be another one that fits your criteria.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compare Italian Restaurants in Boston

My vote is LaSumma.