We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

My husband and I are staying at the Jurys, and go back to London tomorrow evening. We picked a hire car up yesterday morning (Sunday) and after reading a few threads on here were a bit worried about the cost and availability of parking here. We need not have worried. On both nights we have managed to find a meter right outside the hotel which has been free until eight in the morning, and hubby has popped down just before eight where he has had to put in a couple of dollars to keep the car there till ten so we didnt have to rush.

I just wanted to post this for anyone else who is thinking of hiring a car and parking, it was so easy and very cheap!!

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

What did you do with your car during the day (Monday)? Did you park somewhere? Or did you drive outside of town? Sundays are easy because you don't have to worry about meters, but the rest of the week is not so easy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

I know from many years of experience that though these anomalies do occur, it's rare. Don't count on it. What may appear to be "metered" parking, it's not always free after 6PM just because the meters themselves indicate they are not in effect. In most cases, those spaces revert to "resident only" spots for the overnight hours.

Yes, there are SOME meters that are the exception, but one has to be careful even in those... the city (at least used to) sell parking privileges to valet services for neighborhood restaurants to use these spaces and they are not always obvious. (This may have changed because it was a hot issue when I lived in the South End.)

Bottom line... for the uninitiated Boston driver, I would suggest you not assume that all the information you need to decide whether a parking spot is legal appears on the meter itself. Walk up and down the block. The signs governing use of the spots are often confusing and not always obvious... and there may be more than just one. In some cases it may even seem like a deliberate set-up by the City to collect revenue. I've been successful fighting some tickets because I could go to City Hall at my convenience and provide photos of conflicting or ambiguous signs, but a short-term visitor might not fare as well or have the available time.

You can often find clearly-marked "visitor" spots (non-metered) at the end of residentuial blocks... particularly in the early evening before residents get home from work and grab them.

Just those words of warning. You may "luck out", but by no means rely on being able to park for free in Boston. Just consider yourself very fortunate if you do find it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

We went out all day from nine in morning, until about seven. We found a metre easily on Monday and Sunday evening and parked by it, and then put money in in morning. The valet guys at our hotel said there were always metres in the evenings after seven, and if people intend on staying out all day and making the most of the car hire it should only cost them a dollar an hour in the morning if they are prepared to go down at eight and feed it. (I did ask a parking attendant if we could put money in first thing, and she said yes that was fine)

I wanted to put this because the only thing I was worried about was the parking, and its turned out to be not an issue so wanted to pass this on to others.

We are literally underneath the Hancock building, so in a busy place. If people want to come back early yes I guess there might be a problem finding a metre, but otherwise it will be fine. As we got nearer the the hotel we saw quite a few other metres in nearby streets.

Obviously if you are prepared to go out for the day at eight it wont cost anything, but we liked to take our time and come back a little later.

London, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

ISBoston in reply to your message, the meters were fine, and there were quite a few near by. I live In London, and that really is a nightmare to park. compared to London Boston is easy. I even spoke to a parking attendant on Sunday and asked her about parking in the week and she said we should have no problem finding somewhere to park providing we were gone by eight in the morning. She was really helpful and went into great detail about parking. I hope this helps others and doesnt put them off. My husband did walk down the street and even asked the valets in the hotel and they said it was fine to park there.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,679 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

Did you go outside the city on Monday? Seems to me, that would be the only way ths would work. Otherwise, you'd have to park in a garage somewhere else in the city. Or several, which would cost doubly.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

Excuse me if I am repeating anyone. Many of these meters are open because they are spots for residents after 6:00 p.m. The tickets given are often taken off the windshields by passerbys. Sometimes you don't know if spot was actually free for monts.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

Parking regulations are always posted. If a space is resident permit only after 6pm the parking sign will clearly say so. The important thing is to read the signs carefully when you park. Other places you can often park in the evening are truck Loading Zones but again you have to be sure the sign gives loading zone hours (usually 8am - 5pm). If it doesn't, assume its a Loading Zone and no parking 24 hrs. a day.

Also I've lived in central Boston for most of my life and no one has ever taken a ticket from my car windshield.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

I got my share of parking tickets when I lived in Boston... usually because I was outside my own neighborhood and didn't know the quirks of the "foreign turf", and didn't look past the most obvious regulations posted on the block. Other times, I was just lazy, and used resident spots outside my designated neighborhood, hoping to get lucky.

Anyway, a few times I didn't learn that my scofflaw behaviour had been caught until the "OVERDUE" notice arrived in the mail weeks later... obviously because the ticket was not on my windshield when I returned to my car. (In years gone by, you could remain unaware until it was time to renew your registration)It does happen. Could be that they blow off, a prankster might get a kick out of doing it, or someone might want to plant a decoy on their own illegally parked car to "fool" a meter maid to prevent their own penalty (yeah, right). Anyway, the only circumstance that I would rule out is for a guardian angel to take it off your windshield and pay it for you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,909 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

HI JBoston:

Your last line is very funny. I have seen the pranksters first hand take them.

I think the spots on Stuart by the hotel and Grille 23 are open to everyone. I parked on one a few weeks back to midnight.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,072 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking in Downtown Boston information for others.

That area around Jury's is not a residential area. There are many meters which free up at night, just as juleslady experienced.

It would have been tougher on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, though, due to all the people who drive into town to eat drink and be merry (at Jury's itself, among other places nearby).