We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit near Boston

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to visit near Boston

We will be in Boston area from Sept. 14-18. Since I have visited Boston before, we wanted to go see some place else nearby. What might be a nice area to see this time of year?

We were thinking of Cape Cod area, maybe Sandwich or Eastham. Or we could go to see Fall colors-Is this a good time? We like to drive or walk through beautiful places, see pretty, interesting natural areas and architecture. We love history but don't want to see a lot of museums. We will have a car and are willing to drive a few hours out of town.We wouldn't mind visiting two different areas. We won't have any children with us. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to visit near Boston

That's too early for fall colors.

Maybe Martha's Vineyard? It still might be beach weather at that time.

You won't see changing leaves, but driving out through the Berkshires into Vermont is still nice and New England-y.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to visit near Boston

You could do a visit to historic Salem which is a half hour drive North of Boston.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to visit near Boston

I have 3 suggestions.

Cape Cod -- I think you would love the "Old King's Highway" namely Route 6A on the Cape. It goes along the northern side of the upper arm of the Cape. It's historic and beautiful. You could stop at several of the towns along the way, or beaches. I myself find Sandwich boring but the areas farther east seem more interesting. Barnstable is pretty,. You can keep heading farther up the Cape, too, to Eastham or Chatham. Chatham is extremely pretty and you could visit the historic lighthouse and walk around the town center -- my favorite all-around town on the Cape.

2. North Shore of Massachusetts, including Marblehead and Rockport. If you do this, try to drive up to the northern tip of Cape Ann, which is very beautiful. If I remember right there is a wonderful park there which is mainly quarry land, and you can explore it and walk down paths to the water in several places. (I'm sorry, I have forgotten the name of this park) Most of the towns in this area are pretty and worth visiting. I think Marblehead is very rewarding and fun to walk around. Rockport has a beautiful harbor area with lots of shops and restaurants. Manchester is also very pretty with a beautiful harbor . . . . You can get to this general area in an hour or less from Boston.

One other spot north of Boston that is also beautiful, is the town of Newburyport with nearby Plum Island.

3. Concord and Lexington, west of Boston. If you do this, don't skip visiting the Old North Bridge. It's very historic, nicely presented, and in a beautiful natural setting. You will probably see canoers or kayakers on the river. Walk around either Concord or Lexington Center. Both are really very nice. There are some great old cemetaries in Concord. Both towns have lots of colonial architecture. You could also include Walden Pond in this trip, although you'd need a car to get there.

As for foliage, it's starting to happen a little early this year. The weather people say it's because there is a slight drought around here. So, you should see some fall foliage, and that would be a nearly ideal time to visit. Remember it will be crowded since that's a big tourist time. If you need hotels, I'd reserve them now.

Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to visit near Boston

Thanks everyone! I have many places to see and now I am trying to find lodging. It is difficult to find a nice room on the cape, everything seems to be booked for the weekend. But wherever we stay, we will be sure to check out Chatham and the rest of the towns mentioned. We may stay in Brewster and explore from there as there is a room at a B&B there.

We will begin our trip west of Concord, Lexington so we can stop there on our way to wherever else we visit. We are trying to decide if we want to spend one day and drive into Boston, visit the coast north of Boston or drive into the Berkshires before we head to the cape. Perhaps I am planning too much in to four days, five nights. This was a surprise trip but with all of your advice I feel like we can see some beautiful areas!

5. Re: Best places to visit near Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 07:18