We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great coffee in Boston

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Great coffee in Boston

We're coming to Boston in August for a conference and I'm always interested in checking out the best coffee shops when I travel. Do any roast there own? Which ones would YOU reccomend.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great coffee in Boston

The best coffee in the Boston area and on God's green Earth is the one and only Dunkin' Donuts. In Massachusetts, you can't swing a dead cat and not hit a Dunkin's. If by some unbeknownst reason you're not into your first cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee there are other options.

Boston Coffee Exchange on Summer Street in Downtown Crossing. Lots of different flavors, and a cool vibe.

MaryLou's Coffee. There are 19 locations throughout the South Shore of Boston, but none close to the city. Flavored coffees is there specialty.

Starbuck's. (yawn) Various locales throughout the city.(double yawn)

Also, check out the pastry shops in The North End (our Italian-American section) for cappucino and espresso. I like Modern Pastry and Cafe Dello Sport, but they're all superb in my opinion.

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great coffee in Boston

Thanks for the reccomendations! But Dunkin' Donuts...eeewwww..They have good coffee? What about indie joints?

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great coffee in Boston

Yes, Dunkin Donuts has good coffee believe it or not! They get huge lines out the door every day in a lot of them. I'm a big fan of their iced coffee, I'm hooked on it and it's not going to end any time soon.

There's "Starbucks" all over New England and cropping up more and more. They're okay, I was never impressed with them. I always thought they were a complete and total rip off myself! BUT, that's just my personal opinion. Quite a lot of people love that place; they also get the long lines at their counters.

I like Peet's better! There's one in Boston located at 176 Federal St. in the Financial District. I think they're from California or somewhere out west? I don't care where they're from actually, I just love their coffee, MUCH better than Starbucks!

As Healey suggested to you; the North End's Cafe shops are wonderfully good and always were for years, they're all right at the top of my A-list for coffee in the City of Boston.

Boston...
Level Contributor
488 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great coffee in Boston

Dunkin Donuts! I buy the ground for at home & take it on vacation too.

Boston
Level Contributor
970 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great coffee in Boston

Ah...the coffee wars. Dunkies is great, but not bitter enough for some. Starbucks is...Starbucks. If you want Indie, try in Central Square Cambridge. I forget the name of the place, but it's a few doors down from Picante.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great coffee in Boston

Hop on the Red Line to Davis Square. The Diesel Cafe on Highland and The Someday Cafe right in the heart of Davis Square. Actually, not sure if the Someday has closed down, but the Diesel is still worth the trip.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great coffee in Boston

I don't know of any places in Boston that roast their own beans. Hopefully others will respond.

For "Old World Ambiance" I love Cafe Vittoria on Hanover Street in the North End (Italian section of Boston). Others I know swear by Cafe dello Sport also on Hanover Street. I've never been there because it's more 'modern' and I prefer the older look.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great coffee in Boston

My husband mentioned a place at Faneuil Hall. He couldn't remember the name, but a quick search revealed "Red Barn Roasters" ... they also have a shop on Longwood Ave.

http://www.redbarncoffee.com/

I have no personal experience with them. So I've really been of no help, have I?!?!?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great coffee in Boston

Dunkin all the way.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great coffee in Boston

Hi Lung,

I have to tell you that in my opinion, Boston is NOT a coffee town by any means. I know that I'm in the minority on this forum, anyway, but Dunkin Donuts coffee is garbage. The beans might be good quality, but the coffee is weak as dishwater. It has no coffee taste at all. After travelling to Seattle last year, that was really brought home to me...especially when I had a fantastic cup of coffee at the airport, of all places.

If you are looking for a good, aromatic cup of coffee, I'm afraid that Starbucks has managed to crowd out all of the independent coffee places around here. Years ago, there used to be a great local chain called the Coffee Connection. But, Starbucks came in and bought them all.

Don't bother with Dunkin Donuts coffee.